Golf Digest Hotlist 2012 - Demo


Golf Digest is one of my favourites and at the top of my list for information on golf. They have a range of topics from coaching tips to humour and many others but their Hotlist for equipment takes the cake. They have the most comprehensive take therefore, the authority to give us what's new and what's good. From a wide range of handicappers to even scientists, they lay them out for our picks with crisp writing in an entertaining way.

This was the third Golf Digest Hotlist Demo I was told and I got to attend this as a result of the home club NSRCC being the host and because I received an email notice and so I decided to join and I roped in two friends who love golf. It was my first time at the Golf Digest Hotlist Demo. The list of equipment for 2012 is quite exhaustive, so I pre-selected the clubs I thought were meaningful and we should try. I also wanted my friends' feedback. I certainly think that this should be organised more times like twice a year or even quarterly as there wasn't sufficient time to try all equipment and physical exhaustion if you did. It is the moment I have been waiting for.....

When I arrived it was quite okay but it got more crowded later. Fortunately the rain stopped but lighting was not good for pictures. As I am already playing some Titleist clubs so I was just curious about their hybrid. They look different from all other hybrids I have played.

I think that if you do not have the skill set to go with it, stay away.

Here is Peter (maybe 48 handicap maybe 17? once very low), one of us who came for the test. He even got his feet tested. Footjoy allows you to customise and personalise your own shoes - design, colour, logo, icon and you can even put your name there. How vain are we these days!

Here was the other happy man, Larry (age between Peter and me? with handicap 18 or better?). We are going to rock the place! Not every one is accustomed to golf club testing and it can be a personal thing. My mission was to let people know the difference. I shall briefly show you what we tested and how each of us rate them (later). This can be further expanded into future test on each individual or set of clubs. I shall let you in to what I have selected for our test and what Golf Digest said about them. So here we go with our own personal review - the good, the bad and the ugly- of the golf clubs not us.

It's going to be a blast!

The late Gary Adams not only founded TaylorMade, he pioneered the metalwood. The series from TaylorMade has a funny name - RocketBallz! Among the driver, wood, irons and hybrid, I was most interested in the hybrid. It has been claimed that when you hit it off a tee, from the fairway, out of the rough each time feeling like a driver. It is supposed to b easy to use. It is said that you should rethink your entire set rebuilding the bag around this one club. If it is found to be true, this is going to be one hell of a club! Like strapping a rocket to the ball and sending it to paradise?

I want to find out and believe it. See the distance technology to move the CG low and to create more ball speed (the slot in the sole is built to enhance face flexibility). They are offered in 19, 21, 24, 27 degrees. Tour versions comes in 16.5, 18.5 and 21.5. This is probably the highest-rated club by GD scoring 5-star in all Cat and a 4 and a half for look/sound/feel. Some said it plays like a wood and even like a driver.

Peter: "I like the TM Rocketballz compared to the RAZR X for the look and feel. It is also better and more comfortable in my hands."
Larry: "What rocket? Like North Korea launch! Failed!"
Guru: "If it performs as created and in accordance with the reviews by GD, I shall be keen. It felt heavy in the hands, maybe just the swing weight in play. D4 for a hybrid need some getting used to perhaps? Didn't impress me immediately. Maybe the higher loft would be easier but I wanted a lower loft and will need to test it again at the next opportunity."

Remarks: I like Larry's comments. It may be that it is just not suitable for him. This clubs holds promise but it will need a another test for me. D4 is not the usual swing weight for a hybrid.

The TaylorMade R11S driver is an upgraded version of the popular R11 and look exactly identical. The rotating hosel has 8 settings while the 2 movable weight and sole plate offers 5 positions giving you a total of 80 combinations. I hope you will not be picking a lock. 

In a good way, it looks like you won't need another driver again as you can adjust till your heart's content so this is sophistication.

Unless you are a technician, will you be in danger of being a fiddler on the loose? Golf Digest rated it 5-star for innovation and demand. 4and a half-star for performance and look/sound/feel.

Peter: It's a good driver but I it is not the best for feel.
Larry: Old R11 is better!!!
Guru: I can R11 was popular and I saw golfers hit it long and straight. R11S actually has a bigger club head so it is even more forgiving. Adjustable drivers are good in that all of us play to a different lie angle or preference for a open/neutral/close face or loft. I'm not impressed with the feel and think the old R9 or Burner felt better.

Ely Callaway who founded Callaway Golf once said: "Golf is about the occasional good shot". He went on to revolutionised golf with the making of great and friendly equipment but Callaway has been a late-comer to adjustability but the "Callaway RAZR Fit" driver caught my attention. I always like my drivers to have a classic shape. This driver allows you to set the face angle at open, square or closed and has two movable weights to make your errors less severe. The adjustability comes in in a rotating hosel.

GD rated it 5-star out of 5 for performance (plus Cat leader for performance), innovation and look/sound/feel and  was also the Editor's choice. 4 and a half-star for demand.

Peter: "Think that the RAZR Fit and R11S are equally good but the feel not as good as the Ping G20."
Larry: "Buay Gum". He's not trying to sell gum but in hokkien "not suitable".
Guru: I like its traditional look, tall face and how it felt in the hands. After hitting it, I don't want to stop. This big dog is powerful and it went straight and long and I thought I saw a slight draw. Sounded and felt very good. Excellent! I think it will be a top seller! Forgiving and easy. A possible future acquisition.

Here was Peter testing a driver.

And Larry strutting his stuff.

The Callaway RAZR X irons was last year's Editor's choice. It comes with 30gms in the back cavity for a low and deep CG. The soles are built to avoid digging. Designed for mid to high handicappers but I suggest that even that even better players would love it for its performance, feel and look. GD rated 4 and a half stars for performance and demand, 4-star for look/sound/feel and innovation.

Peter: "Didn't have an impression on this, seemed to have missed his feedback."
Larry: "Buay Gum" (Selling gum again).
Guru: I like this. It does not look big and has a nice sole. It's a game improvement club that even better players can like. Every shot for me flew fast, went high, was straight and long ending with baby draws. Love it! Nice soft feel to go along. Feels like I can cut down range practice with these though I never did.

The Callaway RAZR X Black. Are you confused now? Truth be told, I do not like shiny clubs nor need the bling bling. I love my clubs to have a darker side and this one looks beautiful. The 7/8/9 comes 1 degree stronger. The head is compact and looks slightly smaller. Again it has a nice sole design. GD rated this 4-star in all the same Cat except 3-star for demand.

Guru: I like this one for the looks. The darker shade shouts non-glare. Appeared smaller (maybe the colour) but with a thicker sole. I thought the RAZR X felt better.

I had wanted to try the RAZR X hybrid but they weren't there to be put on test. So we were given the RAZR X HL which is bigger and with more offset. This club is on Hotlist Silver not Gold which does not mean it is not good because the list tested is quite exhaustive.

It looks good from the bottom. This sole is good for your soul.
Peter: Like the RokcetBallz more.
Larry: Shots sprayed in a regular shaft, direction was better with stiff shaft but didn't launch well. Like the solid feel.
Guru: It looks better from the bottom than the top. Bulky with extra offset means less sleek but hey you could hit high and consistent shots with this! For the height of its trajectory, it is long. An easy, forgiving hybrid but look too dated.

Mizuno is world famous for their irons in particular their forged clubs which are mostly second to none and most famous for their feel. This is found in their MP series for better players and they used to have the MX series for higher handicappers.

Now they are bridging the gap and has introduced the JPX series. First with the JPX800 (cast iron) for mid-handicappers. Then they gave us the JPX800 Pro (forged) for better players. Peter and I tested the more difficult MP-59 in steel shaft. It was fabulous for the way it looked and felt. Pure but this club will punish you if you do not hit it flush.

Finally, they offered the JPX800 HD (High Distance not high definition.) for high handicappers. The focus here is for high handicappers as they are in the super game improvement category. The extra wide sole and higher MOI says it all but wait - this is cast iron but note the ratings for sound and feel. They are nice in appearance and we must take note of the feel factor. They definitely look so easy to hit! Nice job from Mizuno and I think even better players may like this.
Peter: It is rather easy to handle.
Larry: Better than the RAZR X!
Guru: These are great feeling clubs that are so easy to launch. Looks and feels good and gives you confidence but I found the soles too chunky but it is there to provide the easy launch. Great clubs.
Mizuno has invented something that is so revolutionary - the Mizuno shaft optimiser. Latched to your golf shaft based on a head you like, one hit and it measures your swing speed. Do it 3 times and you will easily get your average swing speed. Do note that your iron swing speed is slower than your driver. I should consider playing with steel shafts.

Karsten Solheim first gave perimeter weighting to putters. The Anser design you see today in all brands was his invention.  From perimeter weightings to putters, Ping brought them into the irons and everything else. That you enjoy your golf today with relative ease compared to the old days has to be thanks to Ping. I have played Ping from G5 to G15 from drivers to irons. I knew all about it so it was to introduce my friends to Ping. Ratings from GD? 4 and a half stars for look/sound/feel and demand. 3 and a half for innovation and 5-star for performance. It was reported to have the highest MOI (Moment of Inertia) but Ping remains non-adjustable. Do note that newly crowned champ Bubba Watson used a low lofted Ping G20 pink driver.

Peter: This is the most comfortable for me and forgiving. (I saw Peter hitting straight and long, was probably the best he has hit).
Larry: Didn't try it.
Guru: I have played G5, G10 and G15. Thought that the head looked big. I saw a friend playing this and he is hitting it so well now.

Now the latest Ping and friendliest irons for mid to high handicappers are the K15 followed by the G20 (latest). The i20 is designed for those in transition from mid to low handicap. after that for players, it would be the S56. Made form stainless steel, it features a tungsten weight in the toe. It also gets progressively smaller from long to short irons for better control. Ping is famous for irons that give tight dispersion. It was reported that playing with these feels like cheating and that the entire club feels like a sweet spot. Wow! No small claim this. Ping is noted for their customs fitting which is second to none. Usually in this arena, most clubs featured are forged but this is cast iron. Ping makes one of the best cast iron clubs around. 











This club certainly captured my attention. They are so lovely to look at and felt good in the hands. This sets me thinking - I still have my G15 so should I keep my 5,6,7 irons so should I add on with the 8, 9 and PW as scoring clubs? You shall find out very soon.

Peter: Most comfortable for me.
Larry: Thought JPX800HD was good until I tried this. Credit the staff for fitting me with the right shaft. Shots has reasonable height, does not sway and ends in a slight draw. Beautiful! (Finally he was singing and not selling gum).
Guru: Ping are the best fitter out there. Was like Larry found salvation. I hit them and they were absolutely fabulous. I like the looks so much I think irons should be made like this. For a better player's club, it is forgiving. Big sweet spot that sent the balls at the right trajectory in a tight dispersion. A probable acquisition in the future. It will be selling well. Not sure about the price tag. $250 a piece. Come on Ping, do something!!

So the young lady invited a friend and me to do some kind of a stress test on our spine. We asked her for her age as responsible people. They put on some nodes attached to your neck and then went down the spine right down to just after your waist and read you the result.


You know when you watch a movie when the doctor came out from the operation theatre, never said a word but just shook his head yo know it's a goner. That was our only fear. Can you imagine a chiropractor telling you that you have to give up golf?

When I got my result I felt sad. There were some yellow patches meaning possibly some weaknesses but ping or red are worse like the lightning threat when reading the weather radar. No wonder my game has not been as good. I was inconsolable.

When I met the friend who also tried this and saw his reading which looked kind of pinkish, I don't feel delighted but rather relieved. So always remember to bring friends along for good stuffs.

I will consider the Callaway RAZR Fit driver seriously. I like the Mizunos and I think the RAZR X irons are good, the hybrid (21 degrees) easy to launch. TaylorMade RocketBallz aroused a curiosity in me and the Ping i20s are great. Peter would love to have the Ping G20 driver, TM Rocketballz hybrid and Mizuno JPX800 HD irons and Larry thinks the Ping i20 irons are Super Gum and yummy. Now you know it, go try it yourself. Ciao!

By the way, three of us entered a lucky draw and Peter walked away with a beautiful golf (cart) bag from TaylorMade. Why is life so unfair?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese