Golf Happenings - Update

There was a time when you said you play like Tiger, it was really frightening. Now I am telling you I have been playing like Tiger, only slightly better in that he didn't win in two years and I haven't won only this year! How's that?

Just when you think it is safe - borrowing a slogan from the movie Jaws think again. I am not referring to the Ferrari crash. Recently, while golfing, we were on a par 5 and after the second shot, I was about 130m to the green. The front flight has not left the green. I was driving the buggy and I parked it across the fairway right in the middle with my buggy mate on the nearer side to the green. Two buggies were in clear view. Suddenly I heard some sound and without warning or a shout of fore! a golf ball came from behind hit the ground, went into the buggy and fortunately just grazed my thigh! I was infuriated, shocked and angry for such callousness and bad etiquette.

I got out of the buggy and shouted very loudly at the flight behind. They came to apologise and I gave them a piece of my mind as there was no excuse for them. If the one hit is not sure, his flight mate should stop him. Nobody should die on a golf course like that. Imagine if it hits our head. For those who can;t wait, please stop playing golf. The Marshall came and I forgave him or he could have been banned. Did I do the right thing or should I let him be banned so as to save others? Maybe I was wrong.

I got angrier later when I read that NSRCC will be increasing prices of monthly subscription by what? $15? and green fees by $12! This is like 30-50%?? I am not sure of the exact increases because I could not bear to read them. Why is it that during recession golf charges, MRT and bus fares and everything else increase? To make back the same amount of money or more just raise prices. Multiply that by 8-10,000 and what do you get? Every golfer I have since met felt violated. Is not not possible to raise prices gradually? Should golfer stop playing for a month or three? Or just accept silently. Let me know your views. Write to me, call me or text me. 

This week, I'll share with you some interesting golf stuffs. I received this from the goodie bag during a golf tournament. An award-winning golf ball cleaner.

Some of us won't even bother to clean a ball during play nor carry a cloth. Anyway, you aren't allowed to clean the ball during play except when you are on the green. You need to clean a ball for a few reasons. As you can't clean the ball other than when on the green, it is possible that your ball may hit a tree and have remnants of the tree bark embedded in the dimples or got plugged and even after the free relief from being plugged in the soil in the rough or the fairway on wet days, you need to clean to remove whatever debris on the ball to ensure a true roll without impediments.

Some golfers bring their own cloth and some clubs may provide them but some smart Alec invented this golf ball cleaner - the Ball Zee.

Shaped like a small alarm clock, the slim, flat and easily pocketed ball cleaner opens up into a dual flap with a rough cloth-like material that easily absorbs water and retain it. Just soak it with water for awhile, take it up, close it and squeeze dry. There'll be some water retained in it but they will not flow out to wet your pockets. Each time on the green, just mark your ball and use it to wrap around the ball to clean it and bingo!

While golfing one day, we met a guy from Transview who was promoting something which seems quite incredible and somewhat interesting. He sprayed this liquid onto your golf club face - be it driver, wood, hybrid  or irons and you are supposed to from here on hit straighter and longer shots! Does it not sound so simple and good?

It says: "Longer drive, gives you the extra distance when you need it most!" Satisfaction guaranteed. Shoots straighter and better ball control. Revolutionary technology.

After talking to the rest of the golfers and trying it myself, we found that the problem rest with us not this product. We are quite proficient golfers but we dare not claim we hit most shots straight and long. Some yesses and and some noooooooooooos! So it is an issue with the consistency of our swings more than anything else. It is therefore hard to tell. More test may be needed but I thought I did hit longer as I use a 50 degrees gap wedge from 110m to the middle of the green and I unbelievably overshot the hole as the ball shot to the back and it has never happened before.

Was it just psychological? I am guessing that this thing works in that most of our clubs have faces that are scratched, used and worn out. By spraying the chemical, it fills out the roughage and smoothen irregularities and thus gives a more consistent and flatter surface on the club face upon impact. Check it out and try it when you have a chance.t

I wrote about Golf Simply previously.


Evon has come to town at The Arcade at Raffles Place. It is even more convenient for you. They are well stocked from clothing to accessories and the latest golf clubs.

I found all the latest TaylorMade like the RocketBallz and Callaway RAZR Fit, etc.

Whatever your needs in shoes and gloves, tees and balls (rocket not provided).

 I love the the Fit 39 gloves that they carry. They are lasting and has a great grip. 

Fits you like a skin and has spider man grip and design. 

Well stocked irons consisting Titleist AP1 AP2, Mizuno JPX, Ping 
G20 and i20, etc.

These are the very sweet i20 that I am eyeing, dreaming someday they'll be mine. Let Evon know your golfing needs. 

The Guru with some serious looking pro. Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Beauty pageant! Golfers can be quite vain. I mean the guys.


The weather has been blowing cold and hot. It can make us sick.


When you watch a kung fu movie, sometimes the pugilist fought themselves silly because they want to get hold of a certain invincible manual that when mastered will conquer the world! Like you got the 天 龙 八 步 (Sky Dragon Eight Steps). We found one at the club's changing / shower room's lost and found. Someone left a whole hand-written manual describing everything a golfer ought to know like - the distance of every iron, hybrid, wood, driver. 


There were also full details on how you should play a ball above or below feet, downhill or uphill, etc. They were wrapped in plastic and probably kept by the owner in his pocket for cross check on the course. Amazing! If you do this, your thoughts translated to your swing and shots will become mechanical. I hope nobody will fight to lay hands on it. Let me know if you need one. I can recite them to you.


















I hope you have enjoyed some of this things and have a good weekend and happy golfing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese