Home-Cooked Delights

I read that they are now shaping up a school to teach about hawker food. Good and bad. Good because maybe there is still some hope and bad perhaps from my belief that the best things in life comes from sheer experience and evolution.

I read an interesting article from the Straits Times titled "Are We Ready For The Future?" and was impressed. I have always wondered how would Singaporeans cope if suddenly we find that we can't have domestic helpers? No quality food from hawkers? Food fuels a nation just as the coffee lady in your office fuels the company and the business but we must be ready for independence day! We'll never know what we will be missing until they are gone. By means of home-cooked delights? They say the way to a man's heart is through the stomach.

We live in a different world now and is indeed difficult to cook each meal everyday for a small family where sometimes your busy children and their schedule and worse if we add ours do not permit that luxury. It is simply common sense to just eat out. I am thankful that sometimes I still get to have home cooked meals from the wife like this sweet and sour pork.

Or pork chop! Many people today do not cook at home, some not at all so the beautiful kitchen remains pretty and new. It is much cheaper and a lot healthier to eat at home. Besides the economics, it is really a lot more on family bonding. Children who have regular meals with their parents should have healthier relationship with their parents simply because in our busy world, time is of essence. It promotes family bonding.

And recently to savour mum's "chap chai". As I told you before add a dash of belacan to it and you will know what I mean. Cravings?

Mum's "char siew" according to my nephew, a savvy eater, is the best. As there is no roast pork, I shall represent my mum in negotiation for just $1 million for the secret recipe.

Besides being very good with her sweet and sour pork, my wife is also pretty good with her pan cakes.

Spread them with maple syrup.

Or open up a can of Japanese red bean and bingo!

A mouth-watering experience awaits you.

Cut them down to size if you want to be dainty. You may spread them with kaya (egg jam), fruit jam or whatever you fancy.

Fold it by half if you think productivity but beware of squirting!





It becomes amazingly addictive when you top it with my favourite Haagen Dazs Green Tea ice cream with Japanese red beans.

Sometimes, she'll give us beef stew.

Or "pek chye" soup with fish maw which is a good perk me up tonic.

Hotel style omelette is always hearty.

Indulge in a bit of luxury by adding a dash of crab meat to your omelette.

On very hot days, simple fish, pork or chicken porridge can be wonderful. Add abalone slices if you like. Believe you me, it is better than most of the so called famous porridge out there.



I was surprised with her "siew mai" concoction.

Mushroom, fish maw and abalone to pamper you once awhile can be a good thing. If your wife cooks, you are are blessed man and vice versa if the hubby cooks. If both do then you can only whip out a storm! Most of you will surely agree with me that the best food is still home-cooked. On top of that, it is prepared with love.

I saved the best for last. This was the best soup she has ever made. I think it is a real success because only chicken and crab meat were used in a soup stock boiled for hours. It tasted as good as any shark fins soup at a restaurant or better. We really do not need to consume shark fins anymore.

This is the proof! All consumers and restaurants should take note.
I can change the world. They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Is that true? For some men, you may have to aim lower.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese