Hougang By Election

Hougang was a laid back new town when I shifted there with my parents many years ago, I think easily more than 20 years ago. I started attending election rallies when I became an adult even way back. I witnessed those days where opposition parties took pot shots at the ruling party and people were cheering but when it comes voting the results were the same. Some politicians got carried away and were sued for defamation. People could see and decide for themselves who were the good candidates but today the ruling party is attacking the opposition which may not go down too well with people as some political analysts has rightly noted.

At Potong Pasir, I saw how the people love Mr. Chiam See Tong and got him into Parliament. A very admirable, well-respected and humble man. Later, a Mr. Low Thia Kiang won over the people of Hougang but we can see how Potong Pasir and Hougang have aged. People were asking why were they not helped like other estates. Shouldn't estate upgrading be dependent on age and need of the estates or the number of older people rather than who is the MP.

As a Singaporean I was concerned with the unhappiness of the people and that all Singaporeans should be treated equal. I saw the mood on the ground changing over the years but Singaporeans should hang on together regardless whether you support Manchester United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. The government is working hard since the last election which is a good thing. Now that ministers are taking buses, trains and going to schools. As I have written previously, if you are the ministers, MPs or CEO of a company, it is definitely very good to go to the ground unannounced instead of with pom and pageantry. Take a bus and train at peak hours alone. Put on your cap in bermudas and t-shirts with sun glasses and go visiting places and just like the Undercover Boss and then you will see real things.


Who wouldn't love a guy like Igor as a friend, colleague or countryman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdHOQw3R-E
As leaders, you want to see real people and real situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWEbB4juEY

I have never discussed with my parents who they should vote as they have seen more than me and eaten more salt than I have rice. I saw people taking to opposition rallies like they used to when the ruling party was the opposition. I sensed a divide. The younger generation today is also different. Regretfully, I didn't have time to attend any of the rallies this time so I watched them from youtube.

DPM Teo Chee Hean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue75OKlPJtU

Hougang Candidate Desmond Choo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeKCks00w8

MP Denise Phua:
MP Low Thia Kiang:

MP Sylvia Lim:

MP Chen Show Mao:

MP Pritam Singh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMIGsKwAwWA&feature=relmfu

I love this guy Pritam! He seems like someone I can talk to all day over a beer or two.

NCMP Gerald Giam:

Hougang Candidate Png Eng Huat:

You can also find all the hustings here:
https://www.facebook.com/hougangsmc

If you were the boss, you have to be a friend just like how we should try to be a friend of our children. That is the hallmark of a good leader. I would want people to support me because they wanted to support me as they love me even if they are from the same organisation not because they were told to support me.

The people love and supported Mr. Lee Kuan Yew whole-heartedly and unstintingly. People also love and supported Mr. Chiam See Tong and Mr. Low Thia Kiang the same way albeit on a smaller scale. It is all about trust and respect, not just a party or system. This may be the same reason if someone were to leave his job and go to another organisation to work. There are people who if they left where they were they cannot survive because their reputation is so bad while others will thrive wherever they go.

My parents are in their late 70s but they have never complained about the lack of lifts even when they have to carry things while walking up the stairs as they came from a generation with a tough life. The young people are not very happy for reasons already reported in the press or in surveys. There will be some people who through their own kiasuism may think that if the estate is spruced up they could fetch a better price if they were to sell their flats. A guy wrote to the ST Forum saying that Hougang residents should move on after so many years and a lady responded. I like that lady for she has a balanced view. I just wonder why ST published the guy's article which has little or no substance.

Although the the candidates are Mr. Desmond Choo and Mr. Png Eng Huat, I think Mr. Low Thia Kiang holds a certain sway with the people of Hougang. Just like when I recommend you where or what to eat or which golf club to get and when you tried them most find them good but there may be a few who may experienced poor service, not to their taste or their own golf swing were bad but mostly you trusted and respected me you will probably still follow. I think the question is increasingly about who can connect with people. Career to do a job for the people or service to the people. Career to do a job for people would be like those who come to you on a street and say "Sir, I am not selling you anything but....." they are peddling you for donation for a good cause, yes but they get paid doing it. Nothing wrong but service to the people are those giving their time at charitable organisations.

At the end of the day, this by election is about Hougang and the Hougang residents will decide at the ballot box again. Singaporeans must stay united and be treated equally and without discrimination regardless. Just like I have been predicting EPL matches and some of you have been asking me who will win? This one is easy only one match you might say but this is complex. Based on the goings on, hearsay from various people, the ground - it may be closer. The season is blue though - Man City, Chelsea. Then one man has a name that resonates when I meet groups of people in gatherings or parties who seemed to like to shout: "Huat ah!!"

Whatever the outcome, I wish the people of Hougang all the best!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese