Family Stroll And An Act Of Kindness

If we had depended on the weather, we would never have anything done. Hot or cold, rain or shine can come and change within a short time. I have already miss swimming so on a cloudy day after the rain, we decided to go on a family stroll nearby. At least I do not need to clean the bicycle later.

I drove directly to the Punggol Promenade and headed straight towards the bridge to Halus.

As always, I like to look at the many angles of things and people. You will find some beauty in them. If after looking at all angles and still I can't find anything, I do not know what to say.

It was a crowded evening. Still bearable  but young and old were all there, walking, running, cycling or skating.

I have been here umpteen times but despite my reasonably keen observation, I did not notice that they have nice street lamps that are like the leaning tower of Pisa.

Ah, life's direction and choices we have to make.

A broad board-walk that welcomed the sunset.


I really think the authorities have done a brilliant job in the greening of Singapore but they ought to look at those big and old trees that are toppled during severe thunderstorm. They should not be a new threat to life and limb.


The evening always brings about a different hue of light.


There is also a certain calm that announced the day is over. No more hue and cry.

Everything will takes its place as places got lighted up.  If you stay in a country side, you can do star-gazing. How lovely is that to you?

We took a break. From the large river to the smaller streams, all kinds of fish can be seen surfacing to breath and it created ripples all around. Sometimes, you could spot Peacock Basses close to the surface sucking all smaller fish into its mouth as they feed.

My son and I were skating. He was ahead of me. I was performing some simple stunts on the skateboard meaning I was trying to stay balanced without falling or when skating at least it was moving. I lost sight of him. Then from afar, I witnessed a profound light hearted moment. I thought I saw my son going towards this bridge leaving his skateboard aside. I got nearer. Suddenly, without warning, I saw him scaled over the railing and jumped down the outer side of the bridge near the river.

My mother was worried. I finally got there and peered down. Only then did I realised what had happened. He picked up a young child's small skate board that had fallen between the gap of the railing. It belonged to a young boy of a Malay/Muslim couple with another toddler in toll. They were somewhat helpless when it happened. My son saw the situation and went to help. He climbed back up what must have been 8 feet to the railing. I applauded his act of kindness and compassion.

I can teach my children a thousand things but I could never guarantee how they will grow up or what they will become. I could never teach them a scenario and how they should respond in each one. I could boast of their other achievements but many achievements are common. In successful countries, most people are successful anyway but it takes someone special to be kind and compassionate. I was touched by his courageous and selfless act. To me, this is beyond description. I was also pleased that in his eyes, he didn't see race, language or religion or if they were locals or foreigners. He saw someone in need of help and he responded.


We went for a final rest before adjourning for dinner. Another day is done. It was a good trip for the family. It gave me an opportunity to witness an act of bravery and kindness. Well done son! The old man could have done the same but after jumping down I may not be able to get up.

That is the difference between sunrise and sunset as you can see identified by the collapse of the facial muscles but wrinkled by experience.


As we skate along the journey of life, we will feel the wind caressing our faces. Some will need and feel the wind beneath their wings. Some forgot where they got their wind. Others may just break wind.


Whenever you fall and hit your bum, just remember one thing - he that is down needs fear no fall. Life is not about falling but how you pick yourself up again after a fall.

Or you can upgrade to a longboard.  

They are much faster.

We all know how to upgrade our homes, our cars, careers, golf clubs, hobbies, etc. but how many of us really learn the finer aspects of life? Singaporeans must learn to have compassion, kindness and selflessness. Few days ago, I was carrying something with both hands full and I have to tap my gate card to gain entry and at the same time try to swing the metal gate open. I struggled a bit. Just when I managed to open the heavy gate, a mother and her two teenage or young adult sons was going out the same gate. Instead of helping me to hold the gate, they quickly walked through leaving me to hold the gate. I was astounded. What would you do in such a situation? Should compassion, kindness and selflessness not be a Singaporean identity?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese