Walk-A-Jog

Running, walking and cycling outdoor is good as it frees your mind from the wanton desires of the world. Perhaps our hearts and lungs are like speaker cones that when not in use for some time can break or tear. There have been several reports that brisk walking in itself can be as good as if not better than running. I mean the human race has been condemned a long time ago.

Train too hard and over-stretched and something bad may happen, not doing anything to exercise and something else will and so I moderated to a "Walk-A-Jog" down by the riverbanks. 

I saw two teenagers fishing along the slope and as you can see the sign says "Deep Water". I believe they could swim but sometimes even good swimmers got into trouble in open sea or even in some water ways. There are also people who often get into deep water in life. The signs of life are often not as obvious as this sign. You have to analyse and search for it as they are sometimes subtle. Always take heed!








I saw too a couple of old men fishing casually and chatting away. They must have ridden into the sunset and contributed to the country in some ways.

A lone White Egret stalked its prey. Some unsuspecting fish could end up as food. Watch out for birds of prey and the pecking order of the animal kingdom. Maybe you are just food for others.

I saw a dead Pleco (short for Plecostomus), a scientific name for a type of freshwater tropical Central and South American fish that are algae eaters. Someone must have released it into the waters but whoever caught it should have just released it back into the water rather than throwing it onto a dry sandbank on the other side. Sad.

A monitor lizard doing its catwalk. Some people commonly mistake this as an iguana. There are really huge monitor lizards out there including golf courses and especially at Sungei Buloh.

This tree made me feel like I am in another part of the world with its bright colour leaves swaying in a gust of strong wind. Unfortunately, it stood right outside a new condo building with its branches encroaching into the condo's space. Maybe it too will be gone soon since it stood in Man's way.

I like silhouettes. It brings a sense of tranquillity as light casts shadows on its subjects. Only if humans can look as deeply into themselves can there be less troubles in this world. 

The mighty oak tree is a symbol of strength and endurance. Their branches are majestic and cover a large area providing great shade. It produce some of the hardest wood on planet earth. An oak tree can grow to 100 feet in height and 30 feet around the trunk. They can easily lived for 200 years and they found one to be 1,000 years. There is a saying, the stronger the wind the greater the oak. That is true. Now compare this with the bamboo. It is one of the fastest growing plant and can grow 100cm in 24 hours. A bamboo forest would be amazing to walk through especially those tall bamboo trees.

Bamboo is a symbol of longevity to the Chinese (they can live up to 120 years) and a symbol of friendship to the Indians. They are admired for their perseverance under the harshest conditions. Bamboo is considered noble as it is upright, has tenacity and a hollow heart. It has integrity, elegance and simplicity. No arrogance, no prejudice. Bamboo can have higher strength than most alloys and a higher compressive strength than many mixtures of concrete. Even some mighty oak trees are known to have succumbed to a great storm and wind but the bamboo bends with the wind.

Sometimes, it is better to bend than to break. Be like bamboo. Here you see the branches and leaves creeping out like a praying mantis.

Last time, I showed you mimosa that stood out like a tree. I found a patch where all the mimosa stood.

After more than 3km, I found a big group of senior citizens having an organised walk and exercise.

I smelled something refreshing. It was a pandan garden. Pandan is so humble and yet so great. Without it, you can't have you cake or chicken rice will not taste the same nor can you drive away cockroaches.

Lo and behold I saw a beautiful sight. Trees bending and hanging out trying to reach for more sunlight. I do not know if they will still be around due to rapid housing development all around.

I spied with my eyes and I saw it coming. Development and buildings everywhere. Wither the trees, wither nature. Sigh.

This is not a Shitake mushroom. This is "shitifyoutakeit" toadstool.

I saw an old couple fishing. They took cover at this drainage hole which I am not sure if it is safe. Maybe so for a normal hot day. At least they have survived the relationship I thought.

I didn't dare overdoing things so I covered just 6km. Better than nothing, I consoled myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese