Magic of Brugge - Part 2

Continued from part one - Magic of Brugge...

How about hopping on a boat and then landing straight into a restaurant?

I adore this Square. It undergoes a magic transformation each day. 

From an open space with people strolling casually, it became a busy market place.















Flowers that bloomed for you and me and of the season are in full splendour.










It seemed to me that life is a celebration here. May be we Asians can learn something here.

Just sitting in this corner for coffee or a beer while watching life by  can be such a bliss.


A butchery on wheels where you can get your choice cuts and sausages.


Once the morning marketing was done, it reverts to a neat and clean square after a big clean-up.

It is also a place for the arty-farty. A lovely shop.






An alley in the morning. Spick and span and cleaner than Singapore. Take a walk in our back lanes around pubs and 
restaurants and you will know what I mean.

On the last night, we were invited to a French restaurant. You could have mistaken it for an art gallery. We were served a most delectable, unforgettable and fabulous dinner. It was simply exquisite! 



The detailed and intricate designs on their architecture are amazing!

The population in Brugge is not more than 120,000 where 20,000 live in the historic centre. If you include the outer commuter zone, they may have some 260,000 inhabitants. Look at how they did preservation. 

In one fell swoop, I met many different people from London, Russia, France, Italy, Cyprus, Sweden, Germany, Cyprus, Belgium, Holland and several other countries. It helped that there were many soccer fans among them. We talked shop on the World Cup and the famous players from their countries. They were amazed about my fanaticism and knowledge. With the English, they were surprised how much I knew about Tottenham Hotspurs, West Ham and the many famous players. One chap was practising Wing Chun so I gave him the loads on Bruce Lee. 

Even more amazing was I met a guy from London who was a spitting image of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Not only that, he spoke and sounded like him! Then I met another man who must have been Claudio Ranieri (Former Chelsea manager) in disguise.

The name and place of Bruges was first mentioned around 840-875.

When I said Medieval, it should include the times of ancient Romans and Vikings' incursions. Walls and canals were built as far back as 1128.

I love their fish market!

I have to walk around again to absorb the vibes, the noise, smell and sights again so I could take it away with me.

I could imagine myself as a budding artist, sitting down and painting the picturesque landscape or writing a book.

I do not know how Brugge and Brussels is coping with the current crisis. I made some friends there and like the lifestyle.

Look at the wonderful array of cholocates for selection especially the ones on the far right. Obscene or artistic? Lol.

There is a mystical feel around the town.

A misty morning. I missed Chinese food and when I found a Chinese restaurant I was delighted but alas! It was closed for renovation.


The Fortis Bank. How is it doing now?

You can buy your own rifles for the hunting season. Not sure if we have it back home, would we be shooting a few people.

A castle facade that fronts a bridge.

This is Bonne Chiere, a wooden stilt-mill (1888) which was originally from Olsene (East-Flanders) and was rebuilt in Bruges in 1911 and is no longer in use.

Windmills of your mind.

If you love audiophile vocals, here goes:

Barbara Streisand doing a 1969 classic by Noel Harrison:


And a jazzy version by Sting:


Then Eva Mendes:


Here is Dusty Springfield for those who love her:




Looking at the windmill, I thought of Deep Purple's Soldier of Fortune - "But I feel I'm growing older and the songs that I have sung, echo in the distance like the sound of a windmill going round..."


I would love to have such a backyard. A courtyard to dance the night away with loved ones and friends.

We were supposed to visit Zeebrugge Port on the last day but due to a planned strike, it was cancelled. It was reported the strike could turn into a nationwide transport strike. Some of us tried to get a taxi for the next day departure. What if the airline and airport went on strike too? I took a last walk in the morning before the scheduled departure time to at least get to the airport first. 

Last few shots and just a song before I go. Listen to CNB (Crosby, Stills and Nash) when they missed home when on the road.


This is the song to play when you leave your family behind when you have to travel. I went back to the souvenir shop. The old lady owner asked where I was from and when I told her Singapore, she knew. It is always the little things in life. She knew Singapore because she has travelled to New Zealand and was on Singapore Airlines. She was so impressed with SQ all because they gave her a warm towel inflight to refresh herself.

I made it to the airport without hitches. I got a connecting flight from Brussels to Frankfurt after waiting for 3 hours. It was safe at Frankfurt but there was no other flight available and I was left stranded for another 10 hours! There was nothing to do there. This is worse than claustrophobia. This is "stranded-for-10-hours-with-nothing-to-do-phobia". If you are always a busy person and all action-packed, this was sickening.

I felt "Wasted On The Way". I hope to inspire you with this song.
Here's Crosby, Stills and Nash:


When I finally made it back to Changi, I kissed the ground I walked on. Home Sweet Home! Thanks for the memories, Brugge, Brussels, Belgium.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese