Magic of Brugge - Part 1

Most of us may know about the addictive chocolates and the legendary beers of Belgium but you may have difficulty pinpointing to me where Belgium is. If you look at the map, you will find it sandwiched by the Netherlands to the north and France to the south and is across the channel from England with Germany on the other side. Brussels is home to both French-speaking and Flemish-speaking Belgians. There are all kinds of Europeans, Americans and Africans there too just like a United Nations. I don't understand Singapore's fixation on what to do with Singlish but if Singaporeans speak Singlish, do Belgians speak Benglish. I thought only the Ah Bengs in Singapore speak Benglish.


Some years back, I spearheaded a new business opportunity to a European destination and due to various problems that cropped up, I was invited to a conference for Europeans where I was the only Asian there. The group was huge and never in Asia do we do it that size. Prior to the trip, I was warned that taxi prices are exorbitant. I flew to Frankfurt to wait three hours for a connecting flight  to Brussels. When I wanted to use a wash room at the airport at Frankfurt, each was quite a distance apart and the single cubicle type means most were occupied. Those of you who use Changi frequently are spoiled. The people all look very serious there. 


When I got to Brussels, I took a train from the airport to the City and I attempted to use the train to save money to get to Brugge. There were no mention of Brugge so the train probably goes to another place near there by another name. Sign boards were in Belgian language and nobody was able to help. I got out and asked around at the railway but most folks were from other countries and they could not speak or did not know where to go except where they were headed.  I saw a Malaysian lady pulling her luggage around and enquiring but nobody could help. I resigned myself to the fact I could be lost or in worse trouble as the trains here can transport you into England, Holland,Germany and France. So I got up to the train station lobby and had my first taste of Belgium - an authentic Belgian waffle. I know Belgian waffles are good and this one was huge and I was hungry. I am not from Down Under but I was a Man At Work. Watch Men At Work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnn6yb4Mmc

"Buying bread from a man in Brussels. He was six foot four full of muscle. I say do you speak my language? He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich." 


I decided to be brave and got into a taxi. The taxi scooted off and along the way when I mentioned "Brugge" the taxi driver turned around and said he wanted to send me back to the train station because the train is so much cheaper. I told him my problem and he said: "Are you sure you want to go by taxi? It is very expensive!" I said yes, I don't have a choice. This is honesty on his part. 


The journey took may be one and a half hour and when I got there the taxi driver said: "That will be 245 Euro". I nearly hit my head on the roof. It was the most expensive taxi ride of my life! Easy to understand as it was unlikely he could get anyone on the return trip.
Did I get swindled? This was where I stayed for a few days, a very lovely hotel. After checking in and taking a rest, I went down for a meal and later saw another delegate, a Japanese coming in a taxi and I was thinking did he ended up like me? I asked him and he paid about 250 Euro. I have company. 

  

I was smitten by the architecture that I saw everywhere. They really preserved the old buildings so excellently. Just near the hotel there was a beautiful square.
















The streets were mostly made from cobblestones. Cobblestones were usually used in pavement of early streets. They were very nice. We should have some of these. Even the cars made a nice noise on cobblestone roads but most cars are medium to small cars, no opulence here.















There are many outdoor eateries, restaurants, cafes and pubs. It was October Fall and temperature was 15 degrees in the day and may drop to 7 degrees at night. Don't you think it wonderful to be sipping coffee, tea or a beer in this weather condition?
















There is a most interesting gift shop that I passed by daily.















The best sound all day was the sound of horses galloping in the streets as they pulled their carriages with tourists in it.

The monumental Square. 















I got a sense of being in medieval times. Of fairy tales and fairies.















Walking the streets casually itself was a delight for me. As I was all alone, I had time to reflect. Am I walking on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams? Watch Green Day:















Silhouette of ancient buildings towers over you.

Brugge is Dutch for Bruges and is the capital and largest city of the province of West Flanders in the Flemish region of Belgium in the North West of the country. The historic city centre is a prominent World Heritage Site of UNESCO. It is sometimes referred to as the Venice of the North where the medieval town was built in mostly brick Gothic.

Every building is a sight to behold.

The canals and waterways are magnificent.

Travelling by horse carriage. Singapore should have this and introduce HST instead of GST where HST equals Horse Shit Tax.

Tourists by the boat loads from all over Europe was a common sight.

I like the way they grow the trees, shrubs and whatever plants that like weeping willows hovers over buildings and walls into the canals.

Cars, bicycles and horse carriages share the same road.

Beautiful waterways adorns the town.

The architecture and nature gives an unmatched serenity.

The Square transforms into a busy market place by morning.

Believe you me, I actually look better in person but jet lag could be the cause. Having dinners and drinks at 9-10pm means the wee hours in our time. The Belgians make the prettiest porcelain dolls.

Horse taxi anyone? They were waiting to pick you up.

River taxi could be fun.

Nice flowers and plants creeping up a building.

Most places are scenic and picturesque. Post card quality images.

Pretty statues adorn the places.

Everywhere you go, the architecture and nature blended seamlessly.















Watch this space....for part 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese