RSi 1 Irons

This Christmas I made a lot of people happy, at least four very happy people. I am good at that because I am in the Maritime industry (pronounced Merry Time). First I sold my Mizuno irons which are about a year old to a friend. You cold hardly find such quality used clubs at used clubs shops or even on line. Most maybe 3-year old or more. I sold them at a friendship price. I made one person happy.

Then I sold the other set of Callaway irons to another friend at a friendship price too. Listen to your mother, she must have told you not to mix with wrong people. Ah, the price of friendship. This set is also at most a year old. The best part is I was having 3 sets so I used them only a third of the time for all sets! I made another person happy. He was so happy that a week later, he was still smiling for no reason. 



















Next, I made the wifey happy. If you think that only secret agents got bugged you are wrong. I have been bugged for clogging the store room and so now I have created space.

Now, I'll be a fool to make all happy without having some so I have unselfishly put myself last and I went out to get a new set! Four people are happy now with this thoughtful sacrifice. One stone, four birds. 



















I have shared with you on the RSi irons last time out:

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2015/01/taylormade-rsi-irons-launch.html

As I have pointed out many times before, we must get the right shaft. When unsure, a little more flex is better than too stiff. So I made my choice of ''American Regular" shaft which is stiffer than Japanese/Asian Regular. Playing steel or heavier clubs could be an overkill. This is the reason why I decided to make a change in the first place.

Even the grip is different. My previous grips were a tad too thin and it might have caused a stronger grip leading to more muscle tension and poorer hits. Thicker grips force you to hold on firm but not tight. Your grip must be like holding a live bird - firm enough so that bird won't be choked to death and at the same time the bird won't fly away.

I think it is a good looking club. Handsome.

You should feel confident when you look down at your club.

For a friendlier club, the top line is rather thin.

Here you could see it is tastefully designed and does not looked a a shovel or a workshop tool. You can also see the face slot technology vertically on both sides of the grooves.

I put the RSi (left) side by side alongside a Callaway RAZR (right) and the Callaway appeared larger with a thicker top line and more chunky. 

Up close and personal - you could see the classic perimeter weighting. Golf is tough enough so you do not want to fight with your own clubs.

Brawn with brain I would say. 

Face slot technology for tighter dispersion.

Speed pocket (black filling) at the sole should give you a better launch and distance even if you should erroneously hit it too low.

I like the shaft graphics. REAX engineered by TaylorMade with shaft flex which is American Regular at 65g.

I was a little surprise that the club head, shaft and even the assembly was all done in Vietnam.

These irons are from 5-9, PW and SW. These are not just TaylorMade's but possibly the most technologically advanced irons in the market now.

For a gifted player like me (aka lazy) or people with no time, I go to the range only when I have completely lost my swing or I have new weapons in the bag . Its like once in 1-2 years. I like this smaller stand bag especially the way it stands, like Ronaldo about to take a free-kick.



















Isn't it a beauty even at rest?



















The front end of business.



















The sole that should be interactive with the turf.



















And the technology.



















Top down view.



















How it looks when addressing a ball.

I have played wedges and I mean really mean wedges. Titleist Vokey, Cleveland 588s and CGs and Ping Tour but this one here from the RSi is an absolute gem! Awesome! 


In some time to come, I am going to need another set. Like when I was a boy who used to play with fighting spiders and fighting fish, we need to have a few spiders and fish so we could name our first king, second king, third king and so on. 

If one set fails to perform, you punish them by consigning them to the store room until they behave themselves.

Remember, you can hit a 2-acre fairway 10% of the time and a two inch tree branch 90% of the time. In the end, no matter how good the clubs, it is the singer not the song.

Fear not the weapons but the hand that wields it.

Golf as in life, play as it lies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese