Bangkok - Food Trail, 1

More and more people are saying please put me on your mailing list when you publish your articles. They wanted me to drop them an email. The list is getting longer so recently the telco maybe thinking I am a spammer and there are times where I could not send emails.

What you can do is to save my blog link into your mobile phone and/or computer and go in as and when you like. I have people telling me you have stopped blogging? No! I have not!

In recent times, we are enjoying a colder spell in Singapore. When the wind blows it can be a chill for some but I am loving it! Each morning while walking to the office, the wind can be so strong it send my eye lashes fluttering. It caused me to blink. It reminded me of my recent trip to Bangkok for a break I never had for a long time. I came out from the airport and it was colder outside.

So I came to my favourite hotel this time on a food trail - the Novotel at Siam Square. It has gotten older but rejuvenated by some renovation. I find it an easy an convenient venue. Food and shopping are just so nearby example, Platinum or MBK and along the way you get so many distraction you will probably never be able to go everywhere. Frosty greeted us on arrival. Saswadee krub.

When I blog about food, be they street food or restaurant food, I would go off the beaten path. Why would I go find something already discovered or famous. Unless that stall aroused my curiosity for example the famous wanton noodle in Bangkok.



















Very quickly it was lunch. A good restaurant just very near to Novotel. 



















Indian cuisine is not the same having it back home than in India. Similarly, Thai food no matter how good is not the same as in Thailand. Authenticity? You bet. We had this fish served and tasted similarly to those you find at Somboon.


















 
My personal preference is the clear Tom Yum soup and you won't get any better than in the Land of a Thousand Smiles.



Tom Yum wakes you up and lemon grass is always great and healthy.















The ladies would love these - papaya and mango salad. 



















These are some kind of killer prawn balls. You will regret not having tasted it if you came here. 



















Yup, pandan chicken of course.



















After eating, we started walking.



















The Thais have a certain fascination with Snoopy. I found them identically laid out as in Pattaya.



















A mild jam at the heart of Siam Square.



















I took this photo to show friends who are fans of cockles especially giant cockles. It will get you humming for sure.



















I was just passing by but the grilled seafood here seemed really good.



















The supermarket next door is huge and well stocked with meats.



















Lots of walking later back to the hotel front watching the world go by with a few beers.


















 
The fruits from the supermart were very fresh. Thai pineapples and papaya are my favourites.



















Soon, time for dinner. This restaurant owner must be s fan of lizards. Unique lizards with several cages built for them.



















Another one here. I sent whatsapp to my son back home and to my surprise he could name all of them. My son is one guy who could use his bare hands to catch lizards. I think most people who freak out.



















We came here in almost an hour's time by car due to the quite severe jam. 



















I have not heard any Singaporeans talking about this place.



















But I found out that my friend Jay Chou was here. Not sure if any one shot my pix otherwise I might find my pix there the next time.



















I have never had such a wonderful grilled fish in years. 



















Grilled Barramundi with great meat texture - soft and juicy, fresh as it could be. I purposely took some bites plain and it was so good but wait till you dip it in their special chilli sauce. Heavenly I must say. You owe it to yourself to drop by for this fish when you are in Bangkok. No kidding.




















The chilli crab looked and tasted similar to those I found at Somboon.



















The spicy vegetables were great too. I am biased when it comes to chilli.



















And oh these prawns are so huge you may mistake them for lobsters.



















Sweet, crunchy, and deadly. Then they did something to the prawn paste at the head which is laden with cholesterol and it tasted so good. I had one and I thought I felt my cholesterol shooting up. Maybe it was my imagination or conscience.



















I glanced up far away into the distance of the river side.



















While waiting for the dessert. You may think oh mango with glutinous rice. Wait, I have had this dessert at the best Thai restaurant back home and even in Thailand but I have just tasted the best ever mango with sticky rice ever! There was certain part on the outside of the rice that tasted a little crispy but the inside all soft and aromatic.



















All good things must come to an end. On the way out, I took another look at those lizards.



















This my friends is certainly one of the best Thai restaurants in Thailand or anywhere. Watch this space...

To be Continued.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese