TaylorMade RSi Irons - The Launch

I was invited. This time for TaylorMade's latest irons. I have always been fascinated by TaylorMade's technology and speed of introducing new line of products. At the time of this launch I was already getting news of their new driver - the R15! Like the SLDR series, the R15 will have two sliding weights instead of one.



A launch has to be exciting and create a buzz.



With a grand booth for registration and props for entrances.



Then usually with the media team and some pros.

Plus some friendly banter.

Here was yours truly with Jef Goh and his team from TaylorMade.

The event was about to kick off.

Normally a pro or a top amateur player as the main guest gets to demonstrate their shots to give you the wow factor.

They are introducing the RSi irons in two different models. The RSi 1 here which is the friendlier version with a slightly larger club head and face.

And the RSi 2 which is the model just before the Tour or pro version which they called the "TP version" or Tour Preferred. 

RSi stands for R Slotted Iron, R being the R in their SLDR series probably. They had earlier given us the ''Speed Pockets" in the sole. These face slots serve as additional help on top of the sole's speed pockets meaning additional distance on off-centre hits. 

What you see here is the RSi 1 (on top) and RSi 2 (below). 

This speed pocket at the sole gives extra speed when you hit down.  
The same concept was brought to the heel and toe for misses or even when you hit too low. The reality is that golfers miss their shots everywhere and very frequently to the toe and heel. How do you fix them? This is the solution. It is about generating more flex on impact from the area of contact. Such face slot technology is technology at its best. 

They are strategically placed vertically at either side of the face grooves. 


The placard display here said it all - Time For Better Mis-Hits. In the old days, club makers could only shift the CG (Centre of Gravity), lighten shaft weights or increase lofts to achieve more distance. Not anymore.

It got me interested because I have been considering changing my irons. I thought that as I got a little older I should be using Japanese/Asian specification Regular shaft. So I got myself a Mizuno with Asian spec regular shaft but it was a mistake as the shaft was too whippy. Hey, forgive me as I have never been at this age to know but thankfully it is a compliment that as I aged I have still got the swing speed to get the distance.

RSi 1 kind of replaces the SpeedBlade irons. RSi 1 is like aided Game Improvement Irons. Hence, the slogan is like Nobody's Perfect and Mishits Happens all the time even for the pros.

They have added everything they have created into a single club - Inverted Cone Technology, Deep Under-Cut with Ultra Thin Face, Speed Pockets and Face Slots. Its like going to the plastic surgeon and have a latest new face except you don't just look and feel better but you live a better life thereafter. In this world today, its like "Evolve Or Die" except that technology in golf is better than not wanting to age gracefully.

RSi 2 replaces the SLDR irons. RSi 2 is Game Improvement made to feel, look and play like good players' irons.

I always prefer a matte finish like those SpeedBlade. Highly reflective chrome finish is nice but never practical for me especially when you play in the afternoon. Some technical golf people put them to the test and found RSi 1 has better ball speed and a tighter dispersion than even the SpeedBlade. RSi 1 was also reported to have more spin meaning that it should stop where it lands.

See Sergio Garcia's impression:

http://www.golfmagic.com/news/equipment-news/sergio-garcia-taylormade-rsi-irons-review/20225.html

Yours truly focusing and getting ready for the test.

I hit a 7-iron. My usual 7-iron distance has been 145-150. Not bad for an old man. This one felt good. I could not believe it!

The computer's monitor read 155!! 

I looked at the white tape on the club face which is used to check where you hit on the club face. It was between the sweet spot and the toe and more towards the toe side. Wow!! 

I begun to check the specification of the shaft. I tried the steel shaft. Steel always goes straighter due to so little flex but when a shaft is too stiff and too heavy, you tire out later in the game. So the best fit for an easy swing would be the ''American Regular'' shaft for me which is already stiffer than the Japanese/Asian shafts.

















This was the final round - to chip your shots into the hole on the board placed some 70m away. You are given 3 chances and all 3 must go in and you walk away with a brand new set of irons.















I hit the first just over the board. The second shot hit the to of the board just missing the hole. 

The final shot was a bit short and landed in the red circle.






It happens to the best! I reckoned it was easier to get a hole-in-one. I can't understand why I have not had one when lesser souls who anyhow ''hantam" can get one. One might come this new season.

Then I bumped into Hubert Tang, formerly of Power 98 FM who was there as one of the hosts.

















I am giving these clubs serious consideration.

Considering how forgiving they are, the top line is very thin for such clubs where in the past they could look like shovels. Good players like to have 'feel' and feedback from their clubs like how a poor shot will feel harsh and a good shot feels sweet. 
















These have a nice feel to it.

After the exertion time for makan at a windy place with a nice backdrop.
My favourite bee hoon.


And Tahu Goreng.

I won no new set of irons but won these as a guest.

A new season and a new beginning is coming soon. These irons are the most sophisticated and technology driven ones in the market today. Will this be an exciting season of attacking golf? Will a fool and his money be soon parted? Watch this space.

Golf as in life, play as it lies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese