I Want To Ride My Bicycle - Part 1

I wanted something to call my own. I want her to be with me wherever I go. Sit down to watch a sunset or witness a sunrise without saying a word. I do not know how my friends will think of  her. Is she high class or too simple and will they despise her? What will the wife think if I brought her home? Pandemonium?

So I release two levers, fold her up and put it into the car boot. The new lady of my life. I went to some more upmarket shops that peddled modern bikes and test rode some of them. They were really good bikes such as the Tern C7, D8, etc., Dahon, Flamingo and US Military covert types but they will cost you an arm and a leg. Most of these bikes are made in China. What isn't? From an entry level of almost $600 to more than $2,000 or more is now the norm. Some bikes can cost your car. If you have an expensive one do watch out. Do not just leave it outside to go into 7-Eleven because when you got out it could be gone in a jiffy.


















We could not even afford our bicycles back then as teenagers. Perhaps we did not even feel that we need to own one. If we need a ride, we would borrow from the neighbours or go to this man who rented out choppers for a few dollars an hour. At the time, when talking bikes, Raleigh was a big name like a branded marque. With so many park connectors built, Singapore is a becoming a great place for cycling and what better way than to have a fold-able bike. There are folks who actually carry along their bikes on overseas trips to cycle.


















I needed an alternative for exercise besides walking, swimming or running and cycling is a good form of exercise that hurts the knee less. I had to take it for a spin and so my son and I went on a cycling and fishing trip. 

Listen to Queen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CTPLUcQAjk

Taking in beautiful scenery as your two-wheelers whisk away.

We stopped at a water cooler at one of the most beautiful toilets. It makes peeing cool. It is a lovely bike - beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

Unpaid model.

It isn't the lightest bike around but for its size, it is light enough.

Yes, it is a Raleigh. Raleigh Bicycle Company was formed in 1890 and was named after the street - Raleigh Street by Sir Frank Bowden. Zimmerman was Raleigh's first world cycling champion. A sport for the wealthy became one of universal appeal because of him. Sturmey Archer three speed gear hub was the world's first gearing system and became a technological breakthrough in 1903. By 1960, Raleigh became the world's largest producer of the two wheeled personal transport. Raleigh launched the chopper in 1970 and was an enormous success in Britain and the USA.

Raleigh won the Tour De France in 1980. By 1985, they innovated and introduced the "must-have" of the 80s - the "Vektar". Raleigh acquired the world famous Diamondback Bicycle Company in 1999 and Raleigh was acquired in 2001. The Chopper was relaunched in 2004 and the BMX in 2007. Last year they celebrated 125 years of history. Finally, I was proud to have bought a Raleigh that has such a long history.

The badge said "Nottingham, England". Robin Hood rode this to rob the rich and help the poor. So will I.

Aluminium frame is good and light enough and of course the legendary Shimano gears.

A good bicycle seat is essential. No, it's a priority. Prolonged usage can cause damage to your family jewels. This one is not bad but there are even more comfortable ones. A car seat with back rest would be nice. Why can't bike seats be more comfortable like those on motorcycles? 

I bought it from a neighbourhood shop for $3800! Is it a good price? Er...typo error, it was $380. They carry several different Raleigh models. This is the neighbourhood shop from which I got my bike.

I want to ride my bicycle.

I am happy with the grip. Very lovely and your palms just rest so well when you grip them. Why didn't they make golf grips like that?


















Just snap the lever at two places here and lo and behold...


















You can put it in the car boot and bring it to another place for a ride. Just do the reverse - snap them back and secure the levers. Although the wheels are smaller at 20 inches, this dude is cool and it can go a long way with sufficient comfort. I hope to bring you more bike and cycling news in future like the Storck.

...To Be Continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese