VSC 2011 - 5 March

The Cayman Islands, Portugal and Belarus became the 63rd, 64th and 65th countries to have logged on.
I was a very regular soccer, badminton and squash player and even play competitively. Then suddenly it stopped. People moved away, got married, changed career, etc. Then some smart Alec tried to revive it and I started buying soccer boots, jerseys, badminton and squash rackets, shoes and outfits and then it stopped again.


Two years ago I trained and played my last games with my last soccer team. I joined their training recently as an observer. The temptation is still there and very strong but I have to resist it and move on. So I managed to turn up in time to watch my team the Bandz Bazookas turned on their style and won their opening game and two more out of five. Just missing out the Final. The greatest thing to happened that day was the coming together.


Let Aerosmith give you their rendition of the Beatles":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jWESj-Lkw


That's my courageous team also now affectionately known as the Reds or previously the Blacks depending on the sponsor, we are adaptable. If you hear another team by this name it is purely coincidental.


















Real action. Who says it's No Country For Old Men?



















If it is no joke just standing under the sun, see what these folks were doing.



















I met Krishna Kumar my classmate and goalkeeper par excellence. Never changed a bit except looking more like a professor or a minister. Nothing gets past him and this was a friendly catch.


























Here's Vincent, he is one of the few folks I know who smiles all the time no matter. I would love to be around him and hug him more often.
























Was this a friendly banter or a fight about to break out? The guy in orange looked aggressive.

 

















Trying to relive past glory. Last time I juggled a ball was two years ago. It is no fun when you lose sharpness but I guess it is part and parcel of life. I used to be able to juggle non-stop. Aging is no fun but try to temper it with grace. Last time I did kung fu kicks and punches I knew at least a few guys got inspired but how they perspired I do not know. You can see from this pix the ball was not touching the ground and glued to my feet and was captured by a normal camera. The only other guy who can do that is Messi but what you see here is Messy. I want you to watch Messi's goal versus Arsenal carefully. It was a whiff of genius with the slightest touch flipping the ball over the goalie and then home. Watch:





























 
My beloved Bandz Bazookas. Our goalie cum chairman cum manager cum what may even have his cap embroidered with the team name and proudly holding a trophy in hand. Let us give a big hand to Sir Lim Eng Chong whom I have just knighted with the franchise from the Queen of England. We would not have the opportunity to be together if not for him. I vote for him to be Life President!


















I became a big soccer fan after the A Division soccer Final at the Jalan Besar Stadium light years ago. The school was closed for half -day and we marched over. It was versus arch rival SJI. We were trailing 1-2. Out of the blue this mercurial striker took things into his own hands with a virtuoso performance. His solo slalom from midfield to score leaving everyone in their wake was a legend and folklore. I knew it was at least 5 or 6 players he ghosted past. I clarified with him and he confirmed that it was seven! I told him I wrote an article and can't help mentioning that goal. Here it is: http://gforce-guru.blogspot.com/2008/10/victoria-school.html


















Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ho Kwang Hock, soccer striker extraordinaire and often mentioned as the dashing striker when he was a top player in combined schools. Also a top scorer with Tampines Rovers and featured with the Singapore national team. Kwang Hock's school team was sort of like reading Roy of the Rovers. I could still rattled off a few names like goalie Goh Hiock Kwang, defender Chua Seah Hwee, midfielder Tang See Meng.


















Directly opposite me (below pix) and beside Kwang Hock is Benjamin Foo who was our chief midfielder with great vision and a wide range of passing skills and a protege of the legendary late Uncle Choo. Another one of my peers Lee Siouw Meng whom I have played with and against and having featured for Singapore in the original Lion City Cup team could not be found. I have never seen him since. He was such a skillful and gifted midfielder. Here you see me touching base with the team that was the hot favourites.

















Zan the man is Zan the One! He is the best of all great guys because without him all these great fun and opportunities would not have been possible. Big round of applause for his dedication doing all these tough work year after year all because he loves you guys. Please give him a hug when you see Abang Zan. He should be honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award!


















I was delighted to have the great chance to meet this man who came with his son. A friend of mine once related this story that during P.E. this man was showing how to bend backwards to pass the ball and instead of holding the ball, this friend just stood there laughing. This big guy got angry, straightened himself, turned around and gave him a punch that he has never forgotten till this day.


Once at a school assembly, he shouted a a group talking behind and said that during his younger days he would have thrown the mike at them. See the difference of our people of yesteryear and today. He often asked me to go out and get him some cigarettes. Not just him but a couple more. I think I looked honest so they trusted me. He is the legendary Mr. Soocelaraj.



















And finally the school song. This one is etched permanently on the stairway. You can see it again here: http://gforce-guru.blogspot.com/2008/10/victoria-school.html






























I would like to thank all the people who came, those who could not and sent warm wishes. A very special and big thank you to Sir Lim Eng Chong and by now I have also got licence from the Queen to have Sir Zan knighted. Great thanks to the team players who worked hard and make sacrifices and Albert Lim for the beautiful "Red" team kit. Special thanks to Captain Yin Chiang for his inspiration and getting things together, Chiok Chai, Weng Hong, Chek Nam, Keith, Jex, Salik (injured) for risking their limbs, Jee Huay, Seng Puay, Kwok Meng, Teck Hwee, Kin Hong, Choon Nan for thier support, Beng Wee for sending the Band so that we can play to a tempo of drum beat. Big thank you to Hadi for coming all the way from KL. Forgive me if I have inadvertently forgotten to mention you.
To think that we won three games, got nine points, scored five goals and even beat the favourites is testimony that "All Things Are Possible!" Hooray!!! Even Arsenal could not do that to Barcelona. Yin Chiang was tactically brilliant. One other tactic that worked wonders and is clear as day - when I stopped playing, you started winning. While Chelsea has Didier Drogba, you have Diedie Dropme. From these pictures you will know that we have no hang ups. Multi racial abang adek! If Eng Chong remains the goalie, I shall be the goalie keeper.
Watch this space and remember the Big Bang coming up on 18 September at Tyrwhitt Road. Victo-ri-a thy sons are we and we will not forget... Nil Sine Labore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese