Rust

Rust is a term for iron oxides and is applied to red oxides formed by the reaction of oxygen and iron in the presence of air moisture or water. There are various forms of rust and generally it is commonly used for corrosion.

When you haven't done something for awhile you may say that you are rusty such as your joints are feeling rusty. One can get rusty in life such as in your hobbies or playing sports. Perhaps even in spiritual life. In the old days, cars got easily rusted in specific weak spots where water is collected when tiny leaves were trapped in drainage areas and they haven't found a solution to prevent it.

What about golf equipment? Especially in the wedges? I am sure you used to hear people say that their rusted wedges are very good because they think it has become more abrasive therefore, cause more friction on the rusted surface and the ball therefore increasing spin. At first I thought it did make sense but I will never buy it until I find out for myself. Do you think it is true?

Which Club Will Rust?

Firstly, which club or what type of clubs will rust? Most clubs including all your irons are coated and less likely to rust. The type that oxidizes and rusts are mostly made of carbon steel. Roger Cleveland the original founder of Cleveland Golf created the Raw Tour Grind (RTG) and as the name suggests is raw without any coating of chrome. It is easy to rust due to the presence of salt and moisture and water. Some putters made this way can rust too. You see spots of rust appearing slowly over time all over the club face.

Truth Versus Myth


Some folks continue to tell you that rust on your wedges creates more spin in your shots. Frankly there has never been any proof on this theory and if anything, rust actually does the opposite as it will damage the grooves on the club face eventually and it will definitely reduce the amount of contact the ball would have with the club face. The ball may actually skid off.

How To Prevent Or Reduce Rust?


Clean your clubs after play to remove salt and moisture then dry them properly. This should prevent rust. To reduce or remove it, use a little soap water and wash and clean them. Or else soak them in Coke for a while as you would have read from the Internet that some folks use Coke to wash their toilet. After that remember to throw away the Coke and not drink it.

Should A Wedge Be Rusted?

Till today I do not understand why irons and wedges are in bright and shiny chrome. They actually reflect sunlight into your eyes. Some people actually like the look of a rusted wedge and it may even give a softer feel to your shots as chrome is really a hard metal. Rusted wedges can get you dirty. Some times I do not understand why raw wedges tend to cost more than chrome ones. It is like paying more to ask for food and drinks with less sugar. Why?

Rust Is Like Moth

Yes rust is like moth, they will come and eat away all your treasures on earth. Whatever kinds of treasures be it jewelry, money, clothes, everything will be taken away. Even knowledge a thing that you possess that could not be taken away from you and will follow where you go like a shadow. However, when your time is up, it will also be taken so it is better to share your knowledge and leave a legacy. It is futile to stash away. Look at the ill-gotten gains of some leaders you may have read about.

Here, I would like to introduce you to the music of Joan Baez and listen intently to the meaning of her lyrics. Recently, even old boy Don McLean lamented that music is no longer music anymore. Just lots of noise with no meaning in the lyrics. Please listen to Joan Baez - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI.

There was a time where if they held "Don't Forget The Lyrics" I could have been the champion. I could sing most of the songs. Heck, I could even sing the telephone book. Just give me three to four notes of a song's intro and I can tell you the song's name and the singer or band.
Now sharing with you Don McLean with Vincent, American Pie and And I Love You So:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qog65XHM-ok&feature=related


We humans will get rusty as we age. It is inevitable. We will lose something. Our muscles will weaken, use it or lose it. Eyesight gets poorer. Sometimes when I think of these things my eyes get wet. Listen to the Rolling Stone's As Tears Go By


Then look at the lyrics:

"It is the evening of the day,
I sit and watch the children play.
Smiling faces I can see, but not for me,
I sit and watch as tears go by.

My riches can't buy everything,
I want to hear the children sing.
All I hear is the sound of rain falling on the ground,
I sit and watch as tears go by.

It is the evening of the day,
I sit and watch the children play.
Doing' things I used to do they think are new.
I sit and watch as tears go by."

Dust away the rust but be like a well-oiled machine. Let Mr. Mister show you with "Broken Wings" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWyeVfuolT4.

Learn to fly again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese