Phnom Penh 2015 - Part Three

The last time I was here, while waiting for a guest at the hotel lobby, a stranger with a turban came up to me. Smiling, he said: "Sir, you are a very lucky man". I went (quietly in my thoughts), oh no not again! I have met many of them in Singapore while walking on the streets, in Hong Kong, Thailand, etc. They are obviously fortune tellers. Well, I think they are more fortune makers. To make a fortune out of unsuspecting people than tell your future or fortune.

Not so this time, as we are headed out early in the morning going past the usual city place seeing a slightly different aspects of Cambodian life.














Ports are very important places. Transportation of goods take place in these places all over the world. It was low tide. Unbeknownst to many, ports, ships and logistics are operating run the clock 24/7 ti deliver the lifeline to all your needs, the world's needs.

This is probably the world's best and my favourite carrier!

Was told that at high tide, the water comes out right at the top when the Mekong swells.



















Barges arrived from Vietnam.



















On the Mighty Mekong!



















It says Cai Mep.



















It seems that everyone loves coffee. Coffee joints are sprouting all over. 

What is amazing and unusual is the fact that they sell beer everywhere. Even at fast food restaurants and coffee places. 

I stuck to my mocha.

And rested my tired feet.

I have been all over the country, not even the whole of Phnom Penh but I can tell you this is a great place to be when you are here.

Malis - by award winning chef Luu Meng featured by Gordon Ramsay.

I am happy to be at this wonderful restaurant.

This appetiser is very Thai-like as in mango salad.

I should say this is a must have.

A wonderful scallop. Every little bites leaves you wanting more. You must understand something here. We know about the great white pepper of Sarawak but Cambodia produces the world's most famous and favourite black pepper. Kampot peppercorns are famed around the world. It is special. It lingers. 

A truly nice ambience especially in the evening away from the angry sun. 

Back to food and here I tasted the most unique egg plant.

I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent taste of this vegetable and fish soup as this is a fresh water fish. The soup itself was a little cloudy but there were no mud influence from the fish.

Another favourite here which is to me Cambodian Otah. Wash it down with Angkor beer and you cannot go wrong.

I do not know what to make of this rice. It has softness as if it was just unwrapped like "he ye fan'' but also tasted like a milder version of clay pot rice.

There were a couple of places before we left and due to the humidity and good planning, there was always time for Angkor.

In every country you go to, the architecture is always interesting.

I bade Phnom Penh, Cambodia farewell. I am thankful to all my friends for all the arrangements. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese