Yangon 2015 - Part Three

Continued from previous article...

It has been three years since Myanmar liberated its economy, today there are a slew condominiums, pre-school centres and swanky eateries and bars that have been set up. Myanmar has nearly 60 million in population and in Yangon, officially 5 million and there is a , growing middle class that may double by 2020. They will have a large young, upwardly mobile and vibrant population of not already. 

Myanmar is well located - at the crossroads of China, India and South East Asia. Can you imagine her access to a humongous combined population? I was told there weren't so many cars in the past but today you will often get stuck in traffic jams. Looking at its infrastructure, there are almost too many things that needed building. The buoyant construction sector, valued at US3 billion is expected to grow 46% to USD4.2 billion within next year. 

Abundant opportunities come with potential pitfalls too. I learnt that you have to pay in advance a full year's rent. You will also have to pay mostly in cash. I saw people carrying kyat (local currency) in plastic bags. Many are still adopting a wait-and-see approach. 

Meanwhile as I approached the final bend, with a little time, my friends brought me to an interesting place.

I saw a unique t-shirt that depicted the different people in various tribal costumes. I wondered how come I did not purchase it.

The back lane is even more intriguing.

It was the main hustle and bustle of life there.

I was thinking - ''what were they doing there?''

Well, good old fashioned gem stone trading. A very interesting place indeed.

All kinds of pearl necklaces are available.

Saw a cinema hall within a small shopping centre when we passed by.

You can see DBS here. Other Singapore banks - OCBC and UOB have just opened a branch there too. Singapore is coming!

The highlight must be the visit to this place. We were supposed to be there earlier but it was fully booked.

A lovely French Restaurant. It looks like an art museum.

Great ambience by the Inya Lake near to Aung San Suu Kyi's house. 

The place must be worth some USD30 million? Or more.

A sprawling compound with such grandeur. 

So picturesque and serene and postcard-worthy.

I wanted a house like that if not then by the sea. A large backyard where I could install a couple of BBQ pits and a Teppanyaki kitchen so that I could entertain family and friends on weekends and I will cook teppenyaki for my guests. 

Better still, have a boat, just a motor-sampan so that I could fish from the land or take a boat out. At the end of the day, if the property is worth just a $100 so be it.

Look at that, I like the wash room too. Do not think I could even afford these.

Even the geese came home to roost. Do you know the meaning? The original is an English saying that the"chickens come home to roost". It's like curses, bad words or bad deeds that always return to discomfort and haunt their perpetrators.

I looked back to gaze at what I thought was a gazebo lighted to charm their guests. A friend brought a bottle of inviting whisky. 

This is the place to be - Le Planteur.

You should not miss it when you are here.

You will also probably never get such good French food at this price and settings anywhere including back home.

I did not need a lot of food. Drinks are the order of the day.

An appetiser and a soup would suffice.

Okay then let's have some steak.

I realised that it is common in Yangon for people to carry cash in their local currency - the kyat (pronounced ch-iat). Probably what they used to pay depends on the currency exchange for the day or if an establishment accepts credit cards. They would carry a stack of it, tie them up with a rubber band and wrap with a plastic or paper bag.

A pint of beer at a 5-star hotel is USD3 and what do you think if they were served from a Sports Bar or any bars? USD1 per pint.

I was offered to be brought to the Shwe Dagon but was told it has to be very early due to traffic condition and the weather as it would be too hot. I thank the host as I do not wish to further impose on them and was already so grateful for their hospitality.

It was about time to return. At breakfast, I went back to sunny side up. Could only do the omelette once. 

Simple bee hoon soup was just so ideal.

I just have sufficient little time to go back to the market as it was nearby to my hotel and walked past an old building where there is a Bible Society of Myanmar.

I went past a Ya Kun Kaya Toast shop which I was told is owned by a Mr. Singh.

I found an interesting curio shop. 

I got to the market - it is the ...

Bogyoke Aung San Street (market) named after the father of Aunsg San Suu Kyi. Bogyoke sound like ''bo jio'' to me and Bogyoke means General as in Army General.

It is a most interesting place.

Yangon is an interesting place.

Was walking back and came across that same curio shop who by now have completed their display. I like the cattle skull here. Could have gathered a few ang moh for a selfie and call ourselves the Eagles. 

Last jam for the day.

We drove past the smaller Sule Pagoda.

Last stopover for the road.

A Chinese restaurant. They spoke in Cantonese.

The food was typical Cantonese. 

It was laissez-faire. 

Special thanks to the host of taking care of me during the trip and for their warmth in friendship and hospitality.

I took home this simple souvenir that I like. The simplest device of a bottle opener. Farewell Yangon. Till we meet again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese