Return To Ubin - Part 3

Continued from Part 2:

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2013/07/return-to-ubin-part-2.html

The banks are rich and teeming with life. I am not talking about money banks. When the financial crisis hits, the only banks left standing were the sperm banks. Sand banks are better. These actually looks like stalagmite in a cave.

Mangroves are an important part of nature.

When they build resorts they destroy mangroves which is part of the ecosystem.















These big-pincer fiddler crabs were busy scurrying around. Just like humans with their busy life. We are but a drop in the ocean or a grain of sand. When you see a lot of nature and the big expanse, you will realise that self importance is futile.


This is the wetlands...

...and the mud banks.

We searched for the tower.

Passing by more mangroves.

We saw huge and very tall palms. Singapore could have been rich with palm but we have no land to cultivate. It was a lovely sight when a strong gust of wind flows through as the palm swayed.

The palm seeds are great. This is where you got your "attap chee."

Yes from these Nipah Palm.

From the top of the tower we could see far and wide. Here's an old Chinese song from Liu Wen Zheng to describe the feeling:


Let me try to do a simple translation (hopefully I am 70% right):

Let us climb up to the clouds to be closer to the blue sky with the highest peak in our sight. The water in the ground looks like a silver necklace and at the foot of the hill, it just looks like a small garden. The higher we climb the farther we could see, let the wonderful sound of singing flow through the hills and the water. With swallows that fly by your side welcoming me to the greatness of nature. The sunshine seared my face with redness. At the high mountains, we have had a happy and joyous day.

If I were to turn it into poetry or a song this is how it looks:

Climbing to touch the clouds, memories to make me proud, The blue skies beckon, mountains and valleys in their magnificence,
Water flows and water crashes, be like water my friend, my hero Bruce has said.



Highest climb, farthest sight, joyous singing soothes my plight, Swaying trees and flowing water, cacophony of insects, an orchestra of great delight.



Swallows flying low beside, the Great Nature swallowed me in broad daylight. Bright sunshine my face did burned, my wrinkles remain my only pride. Water can flow and it can crash, be water my friend, my hero Bruce has said. Big and small the million trees,
Go amid the nature and let your spirit free.

We now towered above the tallest trees, a small Jurassic Park we can be. I truly missed the days when dinosaurs roamed Shenton Way.

Flight by flight we went up and down.

Top view of the swaying palms.

Getting around Chek Jawa.

While we were getting out of Chek Jawa, near the information kiosk and about to leave feeling a bit disappointed having not seen any wild boars this time when a few small ones appeared. I knew the bigger ones would come soon and waited. True enough, it came from the deeper end of the forest. It was the "big one".

Bigger than those I saw during my last visit. I whipped up my camera but it was moving too fast as if charging at me but I stood my ground since it was just looking for food and they do not eat humans. When it came almost right in front, it turned to its left. Phew! (Sorry for the shadowy pix).

It was the biggest boar and perhaps also the oldest boar I have seen here. Even its hair is greying.

A young one here was stationary as if posing for facebook.

Uncle Moh had no other passengers, when I called him, he was already there waiting. He was kind to bring us for a short stopover for shots of the quarry. 

It was a magnificent sight.

There was a feeling of peace, calm and tranquility.

The turquoise water is breathtaking. Wonder what lurks beneath.

Still water runs deep. Click click and it was time to move on.

We stopped for drinks near the harbour and quite quickly got to the boat bidding farewell to Ubin.

The sun will be setting soon with promise of a new day.

We met a Malay women with a young girl. They were sitting outside right at the back of the boat. On one side there was a small plastic chair and on the other side was a ice box. She sat there with her child who put both palms to her ears. I offered her my seat inside the boat but she politely declined so I asked why the little girl seemed upset and the mother said she is afraid to take the boat.
Being the true gentlemen we were, my son and I offered both mother and daughter our seats inside. As we insisted, they agreed. We took a back seat and thoroughly enjoyed it. Soon we would be back. I am Sailing...here's Rod Stewart.


This time we did not have any meals at Ubin. We went back to Changi Village. I found a very good Mee Rebus in the morning when we came in the late morning.

And another very good beef noodle too.

It was evening by now, we just had some goreng pisang and yes "ice kachang" with "attap chee". (For the uninitiated, ice kachang is shaved ice with syrup and red beans buried beneath.)

I hope that the government not only keep Pulau Ubin for as long as possible. They should keep it forever. I have been here and done that and shall return. Keep it as a sanctuary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0DycgVn6Y (Southern Sons - You Were There).

Pulau Ubin - Everything you have never seen back home. I have never forgotten her since the day I set foot here in my youth when together with some friends we would camp there. 

Ubin here? It is time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese