Nam Seng Wanton Noodle

Bras Basah and Waterloo were popular with friends of my age because that was where the National Library was. Do you remember the old National Library with the full brick structure? When you walked that stretch of Bras Basah there used to be many book shops including those where you rented books. You pay a dollar and returned after reading and you got back 50 cents.

Sometimes we could go to the museum next door from the library to check out that closed circular staircase which they said were haunted. Stroll further and you will reach Capitol to catch a movie. Waterloo was where the famous Indian Rojak was but the nearest place for food at the old National Library was just right beside it. A small make shift zinc roof canteen. I always remember a stall at the corner selling ice kachang and some bees would be swirling around attracted by the syrup.

It has been such a long time ago and I really missed those places and the times. In recent times, I have read about a Wanton Noodle stall and it was the one that we have patronised as children at the National Library canteen. It is the Nam Seng Wanton Noodle. For the uniniated, Wanton Noodle is neither wanton or weighs a tonne. It is simply a wonderful noodle with dumpling soup and some BBQ pork. I knew the food should be quite good but I could not remember how it once tasted. I found myself wandering aimlessly to the Far East Square - for old times' sake.

Madam Leong was the old lady that helmed the stall since 1958 before I was even born. This sprightly old lady is still doing her stuffs with a stall she can call her own. " Lei yew mat ye" (what do you want) she spoke so clearly. She must be in her 80s now.

How does the food fare? I ask for the regular (also smaller portion) and for $4 I got 4 dollops of wanton (dumplings). They were quite huge compared to many other stalls. The quality is good as you can see that they were well made and tasted good with a more natural taste meaning not too much seasoning has gone into it. It is fresh. The soup is also not overwhelming and they were generous with it. Very good for me since I love soup.

The Char Siew (BBQ Pork) are not those that were burned but it was made from a good cut of fresh and tender pork. The noodel were drenched with some light gravy that is a little sweet and tasty that is quite similar but lesser in quantity than the other famous one "Kok Kee" at Lavender Food Court. You just add you rown quantity of chilli.

The quality of the noodle is obvious. So you pay a bit more for quality which is fine. I have always emphasis that this is the way to go - quality. The noodle retains a certain crunchiness. 


















I would not say this is the best wanton noodle in the world. However, the quality is good and you know the ingredients used are very fresh. The old lady must been as fastidious as ever since 1958.
This was exemplary of the kind of hawker food that I had in those halcyon days. The quality, the pride, the skills and commitment that goes into our hawker food. It brought out the child in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese