Uncle Leong Seafood

Uncle Leong is not my uncle. When I first went to Punggol Promenade most of the restaurants were not even opened yet. Uncle Leong Seafood Restaurant came later, just next to the billiards centre and fishing and prawning ponds. 

We had originally wanted to revisit Punggol End but due to a heavy downpour, we revised the plan so we needed somewhere we can go straight to for a nice meal and perhaps just to watch some other activities. I knew Uncle Leong Seafood as they were previously from Ang Mo Kio at opposite ends of where Melben is located but have never tried since they came to Punggol. Both are operating side by side in Toa Payoh Lorong 8. I was greeted by the younger Leong. I said 老 板 and he replied I am not 老 板, I am 年 轻 板. OK, cool. He showed me the menu and I said I'll take that. It was close to 8 pm and in less than a minute, we were ushered to our table. Obviously they were highly experienced crab killers.

We had one of their specialities - Guiness Pork Ribs. 

Better not eat too much and drive. 



























Tofu in any form is delicious and nutritious.



The prawns were cooked with what tasted like salted egg and a tinge of milk powder.



















But I wish the prawns were a little bigger.

This fish - a Garoupa is to me the champion. Not all big fellows can fight and not all loud people are good workers. So not all big fish are tasty. This fish is at the "right size". It was meaty, very very fresh, steamed with fried "chai por". Brilliant! Must eat.

I asked for the crabs in two styles. Gangnam was not one of them. Chili crab is good mostly everywhere. Some better than others. Uncle Leong's version is good but those who love it sweeter may find it a tad spicy but it was good for me. I like spicy.


Besides, it came with so much gravy which I like. You can mopped it off with your rice or "man tou". But the fried man tou could have been better. It was a little soft outside and hard inside when it should be the reverse. The chili crab was good.

And then the sandy crab which looked like it just came out of a golf bunker. This was like creamy butter crab with some curry leaves. strewn in. Lovely but I can't eat more of it than I would chili crab.  


 The set came with dessert, tecohew "or nee".

Here was what I did last Saturday. 














Seafood is never cheap but I found the food here rather good and value-for-money. The two large crabs and steamed garoupa were my favourites. 
Still in time, lots of time to make it back home for the EPL live. I met Uncle Leong. He was busy working. I wanted to order some coconuts and I asked if they were large ones. He smiled and said "no lah, not big just small ones". We spoke of his AMK days and he is happy here in Punggol. You can come over and we can cycle over here for the seafood. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese