Punggol End - Part 1

When I was a child to my teen years, Punggol is a place that seems so far away. When we were smaller everything seems so much bigger and further way. This was true because back then we do not have highways. You have to go by every small road to get somewhere and the bus journeys lasted forever. Since you have no choice, people learned patience. Not my way or the highway.

I went to Punggol only for two reasons - to have seafood on special and rare occasions with family or for fishing with friends. Though I have been back there again this time it was a nostalgia trip. One of the best aspects of travelling to Punggol was the journey itself whether by car or bus. From the end of Hougang and the beginning of Seng Kang, that is where Punggol Road is, the road has trees lining up on both sides. The foliage got denser from where the current Punggol New Town is all the way right up the Punggol End.

You can only see sunlight filtering through the canopy of trees. Along the way, there were pig farms and fishing ponds. and when you get to the end, the popular seafood restaurants after which you will find the jetty.

While trees still lined up on both sides of the road today, you can see that the canopy and foliage have thinned just like the hair on our heads. Sigh.

You will still find this type of house around there and it looks like the kind of houses at the kampung behind where I once lived.

The fishing ponds today are so different. They have salt water fish in a very small pond and area. 

When we reached the end, a couple of lovely ponds greeted us.

Even a tortoise paid homage to the Guru knowing my sense of humility like every Ninja Turtle would.

The Water Lillies were dancing.

Those with young children should being them here where a pretty playground resides.

Run or climb with abundance.

Swing to your delight without a care in the world.

The pond has many different species of fish - plenty of Tilapia, Cichlids. I spotted Pacu and Toman but please do not fish here.

More Water Lillies bloom for you and me.

Some were too enthusiastic that they over indulged which led me to think that flowers are like humans. We may over indulged too at times.

I wish I could be a frog but then again no. As a frog you can be carefree and hop onto lily pads all day. You put a frog into a pot of water and slow boil, it will adjust itself to the temperature. When the temperature increases, the frog adjust a little until the frog is finally dead and becomes frog porridge and it doesn't know why it is dead. This can happen to us humans too in life. So let me give you "Your Song":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3r8rDDmNs (Please highlight link, right click and click go to).

"It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside.....I don't have much money but boy if I did.....If I was a sculptor but then again no...I know it's not much but it is the best I can do. My gift is my song and this one's for you. I hope you don't mind I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world."

I looked beneath and deep in and I caught a glimpse of a Arowana in its majestic splendour.

Man-made pond though it is, a sight to behold.



I trained my gaze outwards and I saw the sea and  ships. I wondered if I haven't got enough. I was stricken with a thought. "Ships are safe in the harbour but that is not what they were built for".

Then a barge carrying sand glided along. More buildings for the modern man's insatiable appetite? Or was that for a golf course's sand bunker? Please get that ball out with one shot! Please! Otherwise, green fees will go up again due to loss of sand.The old jetty has become new. My childhood memory is now in overdrive.
Barnacles on the steps and the smell of the sea.

A wonderful clean up job has been done! I am well pleased. Please keep the place like this for years to come. You have to do these things while you are here simply because the people that comes after us - our children need it. 

Nothing and that includes the best shopping malls beat this - to be with nature. 

A podium or you may want to call it a platform was built for us. You can gaze into blue skies or the sea and absorb the atmosphere.

Let your mind wander into the distant sea and the shores beyond.

What might things have been.

I peered through the shrubs and the trees as Robinson Crusoe would looking for a passing boat to bring him back to civilisation. Or would I rather stay put here?

Then I realised civilisation was already here what with a most natural toilet. 

Wash your feet as you saw fit.

The Guru was indeed here.

What are these things here? They looked like caravans.


We decided to take the unbeaten path that looked like a biker's delight.

We were rewarded as fortune favours the brave. The morning was glorious and these Morning Glory greeted us!

We saw sign. It was a good sign.



I know not what these are but they sure looked like Baby's Breath to me. They may not be baby but imagine what a baby's breath would smell like and you know the symbolic meaning of Baby's Breath means a pure heart and sincerity.



Watch this space for Part 2 to find out why you should come visit too and with your family and children.

To Be Continued.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese