Running In The Family - Part 3

Uruguay, Cambodia and Bhutan became the 90th, 91st and 92nd countries to reach my blog. Welcome!


Besides her other interests, my daughter, like my son is pretty good with Power Point, the stuffs you do on facebook and what nots and she has helped me to refresh my blog like changing the background, settings, organisation and yet retaining the tag board, hits count and flags. It is now easier for readers to read with a white background and black words. It is now also much easier to search the archives as I can now sort them by topics. You can now search by month or topics. The hit counter is still there at the top right side and flags collection counter at the bottom. Things will only get better. I cannot thank my children enough.

Long, long time ago during the auspicious second day of Chinese Lunar New Year, a rebel was born. I used the word "rebel" because who would turned out like that during a new year? As I was the first grandson of the big family, I was told that I was doted on and was precious. I don't remember a thing. As I grew up I never felt that I was rebellious but I was always different. I never accepted things as they were. I was told that I had a temper but I remembered I was always jovial when young and often optimistic. Maybe I am just a dormant volcano. Dormant volcanoes are dangerous. Even now I am optimistic because on the golf course people see dark clouds but I see the area of the sky where there are none. I'm basically still jovial but somewhat a little weighed down as we have to carry a bit of the world on our shoulders.

I am cool in that I do not panic even if a beast were about to swallow a swan so like a swan you can look cool on the surface of the water but down below, you are paddling like mad. I hope I am right in that my mission in life is to bring joy to the people as I find that people are often not as joyful as they should. People are always worried, even those who have their millions are, so what happens to people who don't? Please spend some money, unload your cash so that others are blessed by your generosity. People can be happy if you give them a treat be it family, colleagues or friends. It need not be big but small gestures go a long way. Buy me a drink. There is a possibility that I could be a genius but in the absence of it I can be a self-declared guru. You just need to make sense, be somewhat self-deprecating.

If you were to take one glance at the following pictures you will find that you may be in agreement that it is so. One look and you can see great potential there but I think I am the black sheep of the family if anything.















The little girl here in the pix is how my wife looked when she was a toddler. She supports me in all areas of life especially in bringing up the children, also my IT support and home ministry.


We all were once babies, so cuddly, adorable and loved by all. Not realising that when we grow up we could be monsters.  


The one in colour was me (below) and my son was in black and white (above).


When a child started to walk, he could probably talk. They have a natural tendency to feel insecure, jealous and even when no one taught him to lie, he or she would. Some of us actually never grew up from our childhood. Some adults still behave like children today with those similar traits. Sulk or throw tantrums too.  I thought I looked like Tweety Bird in this pix. 

I was already a biker when young.


I have often told people that once you have witnessed and experienced the miracle of childbirth you would change. This was our first born. A baby girl who came in at 7.3 pounds. 

She was a joy! We called her Nicole - a joy to the people as it means "Victory of the people!"


The along came a second, a big boy - the biggest of the day at the hospital. He gave the gynae nightmares as he came in at more than 9 pounds. We called him Clarence - "of Royal beginning, bright, clear and illustrious".


In their growing up years, life was tough as the mother had to stop work and the father brought home the bacon and put bread on the table. There was no subsidy from the government, nor child-care, no tax rebates, no housing priority, no help for the home-maker. We got married and had children because we wanted to. I hope some Ministers would read my blog now and give me a backdated pay cheque for my bravado and great citizenry.


I never missed their growing up years. We wiped their tears when they cried, we wiped their bottoms when they poo poo. Their smiles were enough.


As parents we can only love them unconditionally just as they are. They don't have to be a star.

~ Billy Joel - Just The Way You Are ~

~ Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. - You Don't Have To Be A Star ~  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nb9jJg_wIU


Of course, we all wish our children to be successful but most importantly for us, they must be man and woman of honour and integrity because your talents are gifts from the heavens and God but your honesty, integrity and honour is a choice. Above all, they must fill their lives with love and happiness.

~ Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKAn1HvmRXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss0kFNUP4P4 (Lyrics)

If you are a parent, wouldn't you agree with me especially if you are a father, would you come with me on a spaceship and go destroy a meteorite which is hurtling towards earth knowing that you are unlikely to be back? Wouldn't you give it your all? To our children, to the children everywhere. To the future.

"I could stay awake just to hear you breathing. Watch you smile while you are sleeping, far away and dreaming. I could spend my life in this sweet surrender, I could stay lost in this moment forever. Well, every moment I spent with you, is a moment I treasure.....Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together and I just wanna stay with you in this moment forever, forever and ever.....I don't wanna miss a thing".


The irony of life is that you can only impart and share wisdom but you cannot live their lives for them. The best thing and gifts to your children are to be a living example. That is our legacy.


For there is no greater joy.


No time to be angry or be an angry bird. (Guess which is the angry bird?)



Okay, I got carried away. Back to running in the family. Would my children have my DNA of partial insanity? Let me explain, partial insanity is that wicked sense of humour. Those who has no sense of humour are simply mad. I am sure they are more talented than me with their own passion and interests. We are all different after all. Anyway, I am just a Jack of all trades and Master of all. That is why I am the Guru! No arguments here. End of report.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese