Phnom Penh 2015 - Part One

Two years have passed by so quickly it is frightening. I am back. I have posted some of the experiences during my last visit (please refer to the links). We have to see, hear and smell the place we visit to observe and learn.

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2013/06/kingdom-of-cambodia-part-1.html

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2013/06/kingdom-of-cambodia-part-2.html


I was curious to learn what have changed. Well, the streets are the same. There are no traffic lights. Even if there were, nobody follows it. 


Lots of vehicles and motorbikes. If it got too congested, bikes go onto pavements and walkways. They could even ride over and go across road dividers but nothing happens. No one honked. At the cross junction, they just meet in the middle and inched their way through. 

Where beer is cheaper than water. If you to save some money to get by with the golden liquid. Sigh.

We are so fortunate to get taken care of by old friends who treated us so well. So we started off  in between with a Japanese Teppanyaki. 

It was pretty warm and humid. Just look at that ice-cream melting down on a lovely banana.

You will pass by such local market and stalls for their local wares. Take note that such places are getting rare in the name of urbanisation all around the world.

Even for traditional stuffs, antiques and what nots.

Cables and wires are everywhere. There is great potential for infra-structure development but when we do that, all countries will look the same and that will be sad.

Cambodia is still one of the world's top garment producing countries. They use the dollar and produce for the Americans so even FOS have sizes like they are for giants.

I love these market places because we do not have them any more.

Just like what Thailand was like many years ago.

In particular, I like these kind of shops. I do not have to tell you but you can imagine what they sell there. It was the most interesting stall I saw. They say I must contribute here and there to help the economy wherever I visited even in any small ways. So I got myself some chopsticks. I like them as we can use them. 

The young lady who could be my daughter was good as she patiently explained that the chopsticks were of the best wood and highest quality. I have since stopped collecting artefacts for home decoration any more for quite some time for practical reason. Unless you live in a big house, there is just no space. 

We passed by something that looked so familiar yet I had to rub my eyes. You too should do that and take another look. Just like sometimes in life, things are not what they seems.

This is probably a local type of apartment home with wires all over.

Where I stayed was a wonderful place.

Lovely and safe but to cross the road just opposite to the office we have to be ferried and to cut across slightly diagonally and almost straight across. I thought it was impossible in such heavy relentless traffic. The driver is highly skilled. Singaporeans drivers need to learn. I am suitably impressed!

A typical Cambodian jam. You just do what the Romans do. There is no need to get impatient. It won't get you anywhere. 

After a hard day's work and time to let the sun set down on us. We came by the riverside for dinner.

It is located at an airy corner. I like.

There are more throughout the stretch.

The menu is interesting especially "beef with red ants". Sounded really good but I gave it a miss as I was not sure the cook the beef and the ants were extra ingredients or the ants were already on the beef and they had no time to remove the ants.

It's a little like Gurney Drive in Penang or the stretch by the sea like Pattaya.

When you are here, do not miss this place and the food. The salads, mushrooms, soft-shelled crabs and especially the tuna with black sesame are very lovely. 

Very well seasoned salad with olive oil and vinegar and chunks of mushrooms.

Tender but crunchy squids...

Soft-shelled crabs that go so well with beer. 

This is the place to be when in Phnom Penh.

A special word of thanks to be my friends in Cambodia.
To Be Continued.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese