Big In Japan - Part II

Last week, I shared about my return to Tokyo: 

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2015/04/big-in-japan-part-i.html


I am always up early whenever and wherever I travelled. Lone time is precious as you can be in deep thoughts. Also I like to soak in the atmosphere. The people, the noise, the architecture. That is a lovely building. I was drifting in Tokyo.

(Tokyo Drift - Teriyaki Boyz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

After the very cold day and night before, I was quite happy to see the sun was up before me. Ah, could be a little warmer today. Ah-ah, no sir, the wind was still howling in the bright morning and it was as cold.

We had a lunch in. Maybe I should eat like this for lunch when I get home. It is good and healthy. 


I am fascinated about Japanese packaging.

Food and its decor.

I was even curious if Japanese pigeons are different from others. Japan has suffered zero growth for ten years or more. Can't remember exactly for how long but they are a very resilient people. Life goes on even as they changed Prime Minister frequently. Have you read about the Japan Airline CEO who pays himself less than his pilots and takes a bus to work?

http://boingboing.net/2011/02/25/japan-airlines-ceo-p.html

You saw the best of them during the Fukushima nuclear accident as a result of the earthquake and tsunami. They queue for relief and the man gave way to the ladies, elderly and children. You will never see this happen anywhere in the world. The absence of looting in itself was evident enough that they are better than even the most developed countries. Singapore could learn this.

I had not a lot of time to walk around. So I make do with whatever little time of have to bask in the winter wind. 

The nearest place is Ginza.

Management by walking around. No time to even enter the stores.

From Isetan to Armani.


Seasons in the sun...pretty flowers everywhere. 


When you see them I'll be there.

I walked past a watch shop in a building to ask for direction. They spoke very little English. I saw these watches that look like Franck Muller but they are not. Muller-san maybe.

Back to the hotel, my best friend was the Omron massage chair then for dinner. My Japanese friends were so kind and hospital. I wanted not the typical usual food stuffs. Steaming hot udon on a cold night would be good. So we headed to this restaurant where I was told they make everything in the food list themselves in the most traditional and authentic way. You won't find it anywhere.

This ancient kettle greeted us while we were waiting to be seated. I was told that these could still be found in some homes and used during winter. You can warm your hands over it and the steam moisturises the air in the room.


The unagi we have back home or anywhere else is usually drowned in dark unagi sauce. Not this - the most tender and delicious unagi that I have tried.

The freshest ingredients of seafood, chicken and vegetables, a but like of Yong Tau Fu but more.

I can double confirm that we cannot find such udon anywhere. They are huge strands mother of all udons.

Cooked steamboat style in a big pot of light soup. It looks more like a battleship than steamboat if you know the Lee Kuan Story of him coming home in his younger days from the UK and saying that he wanted steamboat but to save money on telegram he used "battleship"which in one word where steam boat are two.

Condiments to add to your own bowl of noodle and soup.

We opened the windows a bit to let in the winter chill and downed cold sake. Lovely.

More sake to follow after chomping a huge clam.

I had a second helping of the mother of all udons savouring its soft and smooth texture.

I asked for my favourite green tea ice-cream since I was in Tokyo (my other favourite is rum and raisin) and said that it is very nice with Japanese red beans. The menu actually has no red beans but my Japanese friends told the waitress to do a special one for more. Aw...it was so nice of them.

Arigato gozaimasu!

To Be Continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese