Big In Japan - Part I

The Singapore passport is another example of how we are being valued and viewed. It is invaluable. I savoured a last cold one for the road on a red-eyed flight. The land of the rising sun awaits. I have not been back to Tokyo since more than 10 years ago. Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say. I did a weather check. It was going to be cold.

Maybe my eyes were red when I got there as I did not get any real shut eye. A young child was crying nearby where I sat. I decided to watch a movie "The Imitation Game''. It was an interesting movie. I fell asleep after that with intermittent disruption.

Arriving Haneda, I wanted to save some dough but when I looked at the sign for train services, I gave up. There must have been at least five service providers and countless lines and stations. Maybe Tokyo/Japan have the world's best train services? 

I got to Shimbashi early. It was cold. I left my baggage at the hotel to get a stroll and to find breakfast. The last time in Tokyo when it was also cold, I had beef udon. It was the best beef udon I have ever had.You cannot find the same quality of the udon or the taste of the soup back home. 

Immediately I observed that there are no dustbins around. I saw a cleaner sweeping just outside the hotel. A Caucasian man was smoking and wanted to throw away his cigarette butt but knew not where. He wanted to throw it on the sweeper's dustpan but was indicated to throw on the ground from which the sweeper stepped on it to kill the lighted cigarette before carefully sweeping it into the dustpan. Ruthless efficiency with care. I was told that smoking is allowed only at designated places. The Caucasian man had disobeyed.

Just across the hotel was a train's rail bridge but they made great use of the space below. Retail space for food. It was a great stretch that can lead you to Ginza.

As it was early there were less people. The streets have few cars. The train service must be that good that no one needs to drive. I hope Singapore can have this sooner and we can forego driving.

From a slight distance, I saw a truck going into a small lane. I followed it to take a look as I was passing by anyway. I could not believe my eyes. I have never seen a rubbish truck that was so clean. It was cleaner than many cars in other countries. These are serious people with a great attitude.

I finally came across what looked like a udon shop. It was early maybe the shop had just opened for business. I was looking at some pictures at the shop front when one or two persons went in past me. I told the man in the shop what I wanted. He spoke only Japanese but came all the way out to show me that I should put money into the machine and then select what I wanted. Ah, like a hair cut.

I made sure he got me the right one - beef udon at last!

When you feel too warm and humid, you wish for the cold but when you are cold a bowl of hot soup can do wonders. It was a different place but the beef, the udon and the soup was no less memorable and wonderful as the last time. I slurped every bit of the beef, udon and every drop of the soup. I literally cleaned up the whole bowl and returned the utensils to a shelf. The shop has only one man operating. Singapore F and B could learn. No point complaining. 

By the time I got out, the streets were thronged with office workers.

Even the skyline and the surrounding architecture has a sense of purpose, is orderly and functional.

At the office building, the escalator was full with the morning crowd. A security officer beckoned ''Ohayo Gozaimasu", ''ohayo gozaimasu''! I wondered how he could survive that without breaking his back. Three ladies sat at the lobby just to issue you an access pass to go up. We will never find such staff in Singapore.

Friends took me out for lunch. I was blessed. It was a busy day.

It was really cold. I said 11 degrees but the Japanese here said 9 degrees and the wind was almost howling.

Even the trees knew it.

It was good to be back at the hotel after a busy day.

The Omron massage chair in the room was a great addition and a bonus. How thoughtful.

The highly intelligent and great man Lee Kuan Yew was once asked what he thought was the greatest invention and he mentioned the humble air-conditioner. He did not mention the computer or others. He was also a practical man. The aircon gives creature comfort. I kind of agree.

To me this may be the second most important invention to comfort the creature especially during the cold season - the bidet! When the warm water hits the sweet spot in the cold of frozen Siberia. Woah!
I began to sing along...''Let it go! Let it go!'' 

(Frozen):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU


My daughter made a beanie for me but I used it once in the cold of the night while walking around in the streets while looking for dinner at a shabu-shabu restaurant. More people were using a face mask due to their sensitive nose caused by hay fever as Spring is coming with Cherry Blossom.

This must be a popular restaurant. Here comes the fugu skins. Puffer fish as you know is poisonous yet a delicacy. This is not the first time I was having fugu of course but still I do not know how to enjoy this dish like all others. Nothing spectacular unless someone drops dead.

Now for the sashimi portion of the fugu. I thought we would be sharing it. Horrors, no! Each a plate. 

More fugu - this time deep fried. Three strikes and you may be dead. When I later returned I read about a some customers in Tokyo who went to a restaurant and insisted they served fugu organs like the liver which is the deadliest. Fugu parts are banned in Japan. The liver is something that numbs your lips the moment in comes into contact. They were reportedly rushed to the hospital.

This was the best part. Quality Wagyu beef.

Almost melt in the mouth wagyu. I was dipping in between the sesame sauce and the vinegar sauce as both are so good!


And finally finishing off with green tea ice cream. Only scoops of Japanese red beans could make it any better.

With so much food and beer, some times we wonder how our tiny stomach could hold so much. Back into the winter streets and the winds howling.

What did I say about the tiny stomach? We walked into an English pub for more beer. Two more and two more...into the cold night. It is an English pub by name and decor as the patrons were all Japanese.

It has been a fruitful day with more to come as I embrace the Japanese season. I was doing "big in Japan''.

(Alphaville):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl6u2NASUzU

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese