Japanese Buffet

I am not a fan of buffet and I am not talking about Warren. But I love Japanese cuisine and it is not easy to find good Japanese buffet. Last time Shima was probably the best in town. The problem with having a buffet means that after the meal you feel like a python that has just swallowed a goat. I have been doing Japanese food for more than 20 years and continues to be a fan. Some time ago, I shot this pix of both wasabi (horse radish) and green tea ice cream and try to play a trick. At a party recently, some one try to pull a fast one on me in the same way. You can't fool me because I can trade secrets for green tea ice-cream. I'm an exponent.
















Normally I would not go to a restaurant that just serves buffet but if it is a part of the set it may be better. I also like consistency because consistency spells out the difference between good and great. Where the FA Cup is a one off victory, to win the League you to go through the daily grind. There was one I went to which was good the first time but on a second visit the food was not as good and the service deteriorated quite badly.
So I brought some friends to Shin Minori the first time and they were quite pleased. On my second visit there was more clarity because the first time with friends we were too focus on the conversation than the food. I like the logo of the bird with a twig which looks like the peace logo but I realised later that it look more like the bird with a strand of wheat or the one the Noah sent out to find out if they were on dry land. Shin is new and Minori is Harvest - New Harvest.












I don't know about you but cold tofu is quite a delight anytime anywhere.












The sashimi was generous in cut and portion. Most importantly, they were very fresh - juicy, sweet and succulent. The quality was of a high standard. I like.













The appearance of say Lionel Messi in a soccer match alone is worth the ticket price. Or say Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson. I say the same about the sashimi. It was not just a sight to behold but a joy to savour!




















Tempura must be eaten while it is hot so it should be served immediately and we shouldn't soak it into the sauce for along time. Just a dip, a skinny dip. But I didn't find any grated radish which usually accompanies tempura where you put some in the sauce.












Soft-shelled crab hand roll came with quite a bit of mayonnaise which I like but not for others. Could have been crispier in particular the seaweed. If the grilled salmon was good then you must do the yakitori chicken. Really tender and sweet.













These were fabulous!













I love noodles so I had to do the beef soba. No regrets. Delicious but I am bias when they are noodles. I would love it to be in piping hot soup though because it gives me flashback of winter in Tokyo slurping up beef udon.













This is the Guru enjoying himself. The forms on the table are for you to place your orders which will be served to you. Just tick what you want and how many portion. Just read to find out which one comes in a single portion or in 3-4 so as to avoid wastage.













The ambience is cool and comfortable. I can't judge the service level on a extremely busy day but it was a more casual weekday evening and the service was fast and good except for missing just one order. The waiters seemed smart and clean in their uniforms.




















I didn't explore the sake but they seemed well stocked.













So far I like the place. Price is competitive and food quality is generally good. Will I return? Sure I will. I just hope they will keep up the standard or better. Remember what I have mentioned earlier - consistency. Perhaps I may organize for staff dinner there.




















What do I say? Oishi!!

Comments

Somzbody said…
Looks like I have to pay this restaurant a visit. In fact I am going to bring my whole family. Whats good enough for Geoff is good enough for me :-)
larry said…
My MJ kaki went MIA and decided to try your recommendation ...

Ala carte buffer with service, I can accept that but told my family not to expect too much ;-)

The variety surprised me but the quality is expected. The shashimi cut and portion is over generous but guess thats what Singaporean likes. At S$33 per person, it is definitely great value for money!!!

They do not carry my favorite Kubota which is understandable. The manager, Eaton recommended Water-nabe or something like that and at S$72/bottle, it was a good sake. Drinking alone, I polished off 2/3 of the ?720ml? bottle and kept the balance with the shop under my name. That means I will return but in case you are there before me, help me finish it. Emjoy!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese