Connecting People

Some folks email or sms me when they read or receive my blog articles a little later than usual. They are able to do this because the world now is mobile. This means that there are people out there reading my articles and some are expecting each publication every Friday or over the weekend. This is a good thing. Like when I told you that I played a great round of golf you believe me? I mean I can say what I want. Last week I did "tree under" (not three under).

I offer views and provide intimate information on golf and golf equipment which you will not find anywhere else and all these are done with knowledge gained from experience, experiment and definitely to your benefit. The best part is that I do it without support of free golf equipment from retailers either from the golf companies or their distributors. This is so that my views are clearly impartial and they have to interest me or have something to offer before they can even get on my blog. If ever the day comes and retailers sponsor me equipment to test and rate, I shall do so at the range and on the course and once I can get a comprehensive experience with the club, I will donate it or put it up for a lucky draw for my readers. This is to promote a golf culture to the golfing community here.


Now more and more people are asking me to write on food as there are many foodies here. I apply the same principles here of never accepting free food and always pay for my food. I will go to a food stall or restaurant unannounced like any other customers just like a mystery shopper and give an objective review. I do not rant and puff like many other keyboard warriors who do so without being balanced. Some places are valued for their reasonable prices, ambient, freshness and quality of the food. Others have new concepts, tastes, etc. I do not need lots of food but quality must always be present. Before you can even write, one must understand for example that when you pay for a buffet meal and fine dining please do not expect the same level of service and attention but that does not mean no service or poor service.


I am beginning to get invites from restaurants to do reviews. So food is like a common denominator. We will come down to doing food all the time, everyday, when we meet, when at rest, when we celebrate - food, food, food. So what I like to always do is to be a bridge that connects two or different points. Like Nokia I connect people. Connect people to people. Connect people to food, to products, services and all asunder and build friendship.

I Came, I Saw, I Conquered

Two years ago or so I gave up playing my most beloved sports - soccer but my beloved team are still at it. In order to give them encouragement and support at training for an upcoming tournament on 5 March, I went down to the birthplace of Singapore soccer at Farrer Park. There was a flurry of activities going on at the same time which explained the car park being overflowed with vehicles. This was what greeted me. I heard screaming and cheering but it was not coming from the field but in that building with the tiled roof.




















When I see the band of brothers playing, great temptation set in. Inevitably I ended up kicking all the shots that went past and felt like a child again. Memories flooded in of those younger days where much time was spent at Farrer Park.




















The pitch was still in good condition but where there was once a stadium and where many soccer pitches were together with many matches going on, now stood residential areas. Look at this HDB flats towering like condominiums. How we will miss the good old days even as we welcome modern life!





















This was what I saw with a big crowd cheering. I stayed for more than half an hour and I spoke to a few officials to realise that they hold such events in colleges but they were unable to get a venue that Saturday and it was being held here which is a venue for boxing enthusiasts as it is a boxing training club. The Boxer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKjEHfHINQ















It was like Mohammad Ali versus Mike Tyson as both these fellows took on each other. It was a good match where the smaller guy won with several jabs, hooks and uppercuts. Brain over brawn? Life's victories does not always go to the fastest, strongest or swiftest. Boxing was very popular when I was training at the Police Academy. Do you think it is easy? Just putting on those damned gloves makes you tired. Wearing them and just holding your hands over your face for protection can cause your brain and hands to be at odds with each other. If you throw a few jabs and punches and worse when you got hit makes you feels kaput. During NS,one of my NS mates, got hit by a series of punches and when he attacked back he had forgotten he was boxing and all his hands and legs were flying turning it into Muay Thai or a street fight. Funny!















Boxing is also about connecting people - connecting gloves into face as you can see here. Some times I feel like connecting to a few people like that but I am a non-violent person so I prefer clubbing. Clubbing not as in drinking at pubs but by using nunchakus like Bruce Lee!!


















I want to watch this clip on a 12 year old boy at 38kg (Japanese maybe) strutting his stuff. Watch his footwork, punches and speed.


If only all of us can connect to people with warmth and friendship, this will be an even more wonderful world. Louis Armstrong was right!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese