Gastronomy

What is gastronomy? Gastronomy is the art and science of good eating. It is really the study of food and culture but usually the focus is on gourmet cuisine given such a fierce word. There is something about the society, art, science, history, presentation, freshness and quality in relation to food. So what do we call gluttons? Gastronomers? It's gastronomes but they are not gluttons. Drunkards check in to Alcoholic Anonymous so do gluttons check in to Gastronomic Anonymous so no one really know you are a glutton.


Let's start with a little gourmet. I used to see SIA planes boldly splashed with "California here I come". I'll just let you in a little - when you can't go to Hokkaido let Hokkaido come to you.














 



I must try the crab sandwich someday.




















 

A simple selection is the set lunch where you can choose salmon or wagyu beef. It comes with a plate of healthy salad, miso soup, 6 slices of shake (salmon), maguro (tuna) and hamachi (yellow tail) sashimi and they wrap it up with green tea ice cream for the dessert. I'll tell you more at another time. Great stuffs.





















Singapore is truly a great place for food. Live to eat or eat to live? Our lives would be truly much poorer if not for our Chinese, Indian, Malay and Eurasian friends. Don't you think. We grew up on all these. Recently, they were voting which is the best Roti Prata. This is not another designer. Prada is Prada. They talked Thomson Road, Jalan Kayu and the one near Botanic Gardens. This is called Riyadh tucked in a corner at a coffee shop near Seafood Paradise at Defu is probably the best. Well made dough, tasty on the inside and crispy on the outside and the curry is fragrant and not watery. Not telling you the full address yet till I get my fill to avoid long queue.

















 


If we are in the movie Ratatouille, this fellow would be the rat that smells his way to good food.


















I love Indian food because I love curry. This one is a double-barrelled gun with bryani rice and naan thrown in with tandoori chicken. I tried it at Nex.




















I did so because of this logo. Did you see the armpit hair sticking out?


















 

The Basmati rice used in Bryani is so nice whether they use it for Adam Road Nasi Lemak or Bryani. There is one Bryani stall at Jalan Sultan which I knew is fabulous but due to timing and long queue, I have to wait for another time. However, when it comes to fish bryani, you will not find a better one than this. I know this was what you say to your wife or husband too. Come to the Taj. It is so good that even my friends from Jurong will come look me up. I wonder if they want to see me or taste the fish bryani.















 


They have various types of curry. Dum bryani. Tandoori chicken. Teh tarik. This South Bridge Road joint is near a mosque and actually at Mosque Street. The boss is Amin. When you go there make sure you tell Amin my name so I may get a free lunch someday. Haha.














 


Look at the chicken thigh. Hoo-lala.













 

 


This my friend is the ultimate Fish Bryani! It is not easy to get this dish as they sell out in double quick time. Why? Because Mr. Amin goes fishing, no he personally goes to Jurong Port once a week on Friday morning to get his freshest fish and he only get them if they are really fresh. He prepares this dish with a very special gravy. The other special thing about his bryani it is never oily. It is hard to get them unless you make a reservation with him. I don't need to do that because my good old friend will come from Jurong after making the reservation and buy me lunch.
















 


Next at Hougang Ave 5 Blk 322, you have this family that makes the best all round Malay food. What is special about them is they have two very friendly and adorable brothers fronting it. There are few stalls that makes everything good like mee siam, mee rebus, mee soto, lontong, nasi lemak, nasi padang. They are also innovative making all kinds of malay kueh that has quality and are delicious. Some day when I have more time I will get these two brothers on board.

Power lontong














 


Power mee rebus
















 

I know some of you have been looking around for a popular Yong Tau Fu near Kitchener Road. Let me help you. At Kitchener Road next to the Old Victoria School where People's Association is now, turn left to Townshend Road.




















 

And at the junction of Syed Alwi Rd




















 


 
You will see Gar Loke Eating house. Not that Gar Loke is eating the house.





















Bingo! At this humble coffee shop, the delicious home-made style Yong Tau Fu.













 


 

Old stuffs that are good never fade away like good old friends. You go to Pasir Panjang near the port there is an oldish hawker centre. You can see here workers resting around. "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."












 

 

Look at this sheltered walkway from the temporary car park. Look at the material and style of it and you know you are at the land before time.











 


 

Hainanese Curry Rice anyone. I grew up liking this as my grandma would bring me along to Whampoa to get curry rice. It is so fragrant. They throw curry and gravy from vegetables and others. This one at Pasir Panjang harks back to the old days. They were previously at the Railway Station at Tanjong Pagar and it harks back more that 20 over years.















Why do I remember? I was a poor boy eking out a living at the port and this "Ah Kor" (brother) powered me with his curry rice which I probably had at least twice a week. In this pix he was busy at the far right corner. Still looking the same amazingly but more silver. He and his family has been powering the port workers for generations. Now you know why PSA is tops! Why are they good? It is as authentic to the good old original recipe as you can get.

















 

Deadly "char kway teow" anyone? At the same food centre, this unique fried noodle serve their in a most unusual way.











 

 


Take a look. Everything is buried under green leafy vegetables.













 



There you go. Fresh cockles and a "chye poh" (or pickled radish) is added.
















 



Ah, the Curry Rice at Maxwell. They were at their best when the old man was doing it. It is still good for me. Comfort food like an old friend.













 

 


Your favorite former Tiong Bahru Prawn Fritter is now with me at Tanjong Pagar. They only sell a limited quantity and pack off for the day by 2pm. Everything is fresh especially the delicious prawn fritters where you can see him adding fresh prawns to the dough and then frying it.










 


 Yummy!!








 

 




I take leave from now as the above would satisfy most palate whoever and wherever you are. There is few other joy in life then eating together and feasting. Have a belly good time!





















Comments

robb said…
hey Geoff...you are making me homesick man!That Whampoa rice stall still has that flavor as I remember in my primary years at McNair school. It's one of my food mecca when I return to S'pore. Next time I come, I must hang out with you. The fish bryani sounds especially good in fact all the stalls you mentioned sounds so appealing.Tonjght I am cooking Soup Kambing for our church guys. My first attempt was a success. I believe we are the only place in NZ
that serves this dish.....the catch is ...one has to go through the church gates.
robb said…
hey Geoff...you are making me homesick man!That Whampoa rice stall still has that flavor as I remember in my primary years at McNair school. It's one of my food mecca when I return to S'pore. Next time I come, I must hang out with you. The fish bryani sounds especially good in fact all the stalls you mentioned sounds so appealing.Tonjght I am cooking Soup Kambing for our church guys. My first attempt was a success. I believe we are the only place in NZ
that serves this dish.....the catch is ...one has to go through the church gates.
GuruGeoff said…
Hi Robb, it would be my great pleasure to take you treasure hunting!Put me on notice. In fact, Soup Kambing was intro by you and the one at your old home is still pretty good! It is harder to good ones these days! Till we meet...

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese