Story Telling

Two friends were on their way to meet me and they spoke about me. When they finally met me, they said they both spoke about the same thing while on their way - that I write faster than they could read. I am sure they meant it as a compliment. 

Then a few others said that when I get philosophical, I could save the earth or the human race (this is to tickle me), others were worried if I got too stress writing. Yet many others would tell me or write to encourage me to keep on. They said it is always very interesting and informative and enjoyed reading articles in my blog. Several others said that they should have known me earlier. It is not too late. There are a lot of things we can all do together. We need to share stories.

The truth is I enjoy writing and I find it therapeutic and it is a way for me to de-stress. It is also a great way to connect and I make people happy. In fact, I have been encouraging many to write or be my guest writers. Whatever I write, the topics that I weave together are nothing more than story telling. Story telling is an ancient art that is why you find drawings and carvings in caves and trees. 

Humans are communal. We need to communicate. Tell tales, exchange stories. Teach the younger ones so that they could fend for themselves later in life. There is also a need to remind ourselves, to learn from one another. Even when people say history will never repeat itself or we should not let history repeat itself, it does. 

Every human face tells a story of joy, sadness, inspiration, victory or defeat. Whenever people meet, we share information and inevitably stories. Everyone of us are having own battles to fight each day so I will always advocate that at first you should be nice to others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTjYc63TZR8

The older generation of people I know were very good story tellers. To be fair, perhaps they were good due to circumstances. There was no mobile phone, face book or the Internet. People have to meet to talk. You hone your skills there. Families were larger and therefore, there are plenty of stories to go around. It probably started from the grandparents. My paternal grandmother was a good story-teller. And the Rediffusion has great story-tellers in Cantonese, Teochew and Hokkien. Some are stories of humour and others stories of horror. We had no distraction then.

When you watch a movie or read a book, there are stories. Some fiction others non-fiction. Have you ever read a book or watch a movie and got very impressed by the story line? It could be a love story, a story on life's journey, a story of hope and courage. A story of the triumph of the human spirit over insurmountable odds. Stories about sacrifice, great friendship, great men or women. 

Every body's life is a story by itself. How you will live it is how you are telling it. Of course, for some people they like to hide things so one day when you find out he is actually not who he is you get a shock. Maybe he'll shock his own family and friends too. There are some people who live their life as a warning to others. I wrote an article more than two years ago "Life Is Like A Movie" and hope you will read it. No, I advocate that you read it:

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2011/02/life-is-like-movie.html

Schools, companies and countries tell their stories too so that each new cohorts, each new generation must know where we came from and how we got here. These days it got harder to share stories because most people are too busy, thought they are already so clever just because they have lots of information or they may mistakenly thought that they are superior to you. The fact is that even the most lowly have their stories to tell and you can learn much from them.

In fact, you could probably learn more talking to humble people than proud ones. Proud people will talk and boast of the same old story about their golfing prowess even to no-golfers, how they conquer the business world, blah, blah, blah. At the end of a conversation, you have wasted your time and learn nothing. 

Very often, people love to gossip about others rather than taking a hard look at themselves. How would people tell their own story - truthfully? Are you able to face up to your loved ones and friends if they knew completely what you have done? I hate to remind you that your story has been written since you were born. It is still being told - day by day, moment by moment. It is still unfolding. What are you worth as a person? 

Unbeknownst to you, behind your back, everyone you know is talking about you. Leave the story telling of your life to others. You can't completely erase the lousy parts that were already gone but you can start writing a new chapter now. You still have whatever time left to decide your own conclusion right up to the final chapter before it says "The End". It is in your hands. Use a bit of imagination, think of the best people you know and what are the good things about them. Pen it down as part of your story and then live it. 

I want to leave you a beautiful song by the angelic voice of Chyi with "Stories": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKuU8c-ekes

I have a couple of audiophile CDs of her songs to drift away dreamily with. A succession of images, thoughts and emotions pass through my mind in such moments flooding me with stories past and present, old and new.

I think we need to inculcate the habit of story-telling again. If not in the old ways then in some new ways or form. I have been writing to tell stories. How is your story so far? What's your story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese