Le Steak

The weather has been freakish of late.The torrential downpour recently that wreaked havoc was lamentable. So on a lazy Saturday afternoon, I woke up a little later than usual as most weekends I wake up at the same time as weekdays. 

My son has been enthusiastic and excited to introduce us to a place which he claimed serve wonderful food. No one else was available and the two of us went for lunch - he to enjoy what he already knew is good and me to explore another foodie joint. So, we went on to Jalan Kayu and I was fortunate to quickly find a parking space between the famous prata and the otah shop. I realised it was better to park on the opposite side where our destination is as at the end of the stretch of shop houses there is a big car park but beware they will come to check your coupon regularly. Be warned.

I was finally here to discover about Le Steak at 248, Jalan Kayu. 

Le Steak is all about Chef Amri. 

It has both indoor and an outdoor dining space.

European decor adorn the place. Like a French restaurant.

It is quaint and definitely charming. I like.


I think I found a soul mate. A chef devoted to the pursuit of sensual pleasure - the enjoyment of good food and comfort. Yes, an epicurean at heart. Chef Amri Azim once helmed Cafe Le Troque as Head Chef and was Executive Chef at Gourmet Plus. He is an award winning celebrity chef. 

My son got his steak and I ordered what my son has recommended me what he ate the last time which is simply "Fish of the Day". 

I saw the desserts list and almost salivated. I also saw "tips are most welcome". I like it and think that this is the way to go. Why be forced to pay 10% service charge when at times at certain places there was no or poor service? If the service is good we should be willing to pay.

We ordered some soup. The mushroom soup was as good as what you'll find in an Italian restaurant. Lots of tiny chopped up mushrooms. Delicious. First impression counts.

Then I had the Beef Goulash. Mama mia! What an appetite inducer or is it seducer? I really love it.

If you love and want "bloody good beef" then this is the place to be. You can have a good choice right up to the premium cuts. Read this note posted by Chef Amri - "red juice in red meat is not blood". No need to scream or squirm.

They do your steak as you ordered. Medium rare or medium well comes as how it should be.

If you simply love steak then this is the place to be. Not just steak but others as well. This could be the best restaurant you have never been.

While munching on a couple of slices offered by the son, I was eyeing on the menu the braised lamb shank. Maybe a duck comfit too the next time? These are going to be definitely great.

My fish came. The fish of the day is a Hake fish, a deep water fish. A mild-flavoured white fish found in the colder waters of the Northern Seas and is related to cod fish. The Spanish love Hake consuming half of all Europe. The Portuguese, Italian and French love Hake too. 

Hake has great texture and this is the best rice I have eaten since chicken rice was invented. I tasted a light buttery taste simmering with lemon grass on the surface of each grain. You will feel that you want more of it. Lovely.

The next time I brought the whole family because they insisted. This time I had salmon with the same lovely rice. Here's looking at you Sal.

See how well seared it is.

Salmon spaghetti cream. Healthy and energy booster.

For some who does not like red meat they have chicken. What you see here is Teriyaki Chicken.

Finally, all good things have to come to an end. I believe in happy endings all the time. I went for the Lava. I had vanilla ice cream top with a cherry with brownie sometimes and simply love it. So this was a no brainer. Fabulous!

We also tried good old Creme Brulee.

I started this with A&W and its been some time.

I met and spoke to Chef Amri and have nothing but praises for him.
I am proud that local chefs are coming on their own keeping prices reasonable and giving great food.


His slogan is Real Food For Real Heart. Gourmet food need not mean expensive.

I will be back and if you are looking for good food at reasonable prices for dining with the family or friends, you are going to like it here. It was so good I almost wanted to rap as I turned the cap around.

But then again not, so I turned around and decided to go get some otah. I used to frequent the places here until it got too crowded. 














When I first frequently ate these from Hiang Soon they were 3 for a dollar. Now it is $0.50 c per piece. Not only inflation but the size has shrunk and has less fish meat but it is still delicious. 


But otah is good with anything from bread to rice, beer or wine or just so good on its own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese