Penang Food

The first time I visited Penang, Malaysia long time ago, the most memorable was the food. Being on holiday made it even more enjoyable. The food was close to some of ours here but for those Penang favourites, they were of course more authentic.

The other only time in the past where good Penang food came to Singapore was when a couple of hotels here organise a Penang Food buffet but how much of these food can you wallop in a buffet?

Personally, I experienced Penang Food at a food court at the old Marina Square when it was first opened and I found it was owned by brothers David and James who were once in the container transport business. In more recent times, I passed by the Aljunied MRT station because I drop off my car at the agents and they brought me to the MRT but it was only when several friends told me that I must try the Penang food at the restaurant at Geylang Lorong 25 A (where the MRT station is).

It was a hot day and the first thing I did was to get a cold drink. I opted for their lime juice as I could see this was no ordinary lime juice not because the lime was special but I saw a few workers extracting juice from a basket of lime so it was so freshly squeezed and tasted so good! A sour plum was added for flavour. Most restaurants serve lime juice from cordial. 

The menu was quite extensive as you can imagine.

Even gurus have to ponder. 

In Rome do what Romans do and in Penang do what Penangites do. As there were only two of us, there isn't much I can do. Anything few things I order would be too much. The Penang Assam Laksa came first. The smell will wake you up a little.

It has really been sometime since I had Penang Laksa. This one is good, refreshingly good. 

I slurped it up. The gravy was thick and there were pieces of sardines in it. This should be a must try.

Next came the Penang char kway teow. The version is of course different from our local style - no dark sweet sauce. You could taste the raging fire from the fire to the wok and from the wok to the flat rice noodles and I could imagine the chef tossing them up and down the wok. I would encourage a bit more chilli.

We had a vegetable dish and then the lala. Sweet and delicious.

Business must have been so good that they actually opened another shop next door. It was still hot outside the restaurant but it began to drizzle. As I was walking to the car I walked past a shop that manufactures these special ovens for roasting duck and meat and various kinds of set ups for hawkers, food centres and coffee shops.

I was wondering if I could survive and make it as a hawker. How about you for a second career? I have even showed you the price tag for budgeting purpose just in case.

I have since decided that I shall leave our ecosystem alone. Just let things evolve. As I have tried just a small portion of what was offered at the Penang Seafood Restaurant, I have to be back, perhaps with a bigger group so we could sample more types of food. Till then, have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese