Pagi Sore

Pagi Sore means morning and evening in Indonesian or from dusk to dawn. Since there is one here at the Amara, it is inevitable that I will have it someday sooner or later. 

I looked at this poster and I said hey, I want it since I have always love our Malay or Indonesian nasi padang. Nasi Padang is Nasi (rice) from Padang (a place which is the capital of West Sumatra, Indonesia). However, Kueh TuTu is not kueh from TuTu island but is unique to Singapore and Nasi Bryani is not nasi from Bryani. 

Starting with Emping Belinjo with belacan is a good and traditional way. The bitter cracker mixed with the pungent and spicy belacan is very much a part of the cuisine.

They said their lime juice is special so we had to have one. Well, it did taste better than those standard run-of-the-mill type you can find everywhere.

But this mango yogurt was really something else. I always love to have this whenever having a meal at any Indian restaurant. It is such a fabulous drink. Appetising.

The champion of the night is the Tahu Telor. Crispy thin skin and a very soft centre that almost melted in the mouth.

The Kang Kong is of a good quality but it was not spicy enough.

The presentation of the rice has already made me biased thinking that it will taste very good. What that is revealed may be interesting but what that is concealed is always fascinating.

When I was a boy, the children usually do not like to eat just plain rice but we found "Lor Mai Kai" and "Fan Choy" very tasty. So whenever granny spotted anyone who is not interested in eating, she would scoop rice into a bowl and then overturn it onto a plate then add dishes onto the rice and bingo it looks like lor mai kai or fan choy. Psychology that even grandmothers knew well back then.

Rendang is a must have anywhere, any time. Beef or mutton are equally good. This rendang is okay, good as rendang should be but I found the meat to be too hard. Maybe they gave me the wrong portion. 

Rendang meat should be tender and tear easily.

I want to have rendang again. Just writing about it makes my mouth water. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese