Armenian St. Char Kway Teow - Lost And Found

If you like me had been to the National Library often in our younger days, you will also know about MPH nearby. When I started work, besides dropping in at MPH occasionally, I would also have lunch at the nearby Armenian Street old coffee shop where you have a Char Kway Teow stall and the Ngoh Hiang Prawn Cracker. It really has been such a long time.

A friend told me about this recently that he found the Armenian Street Char Kway Teow and gave me an address. One day when I remembered I decided to check out the place but disappointed to find the place closed for renovation. Some months later, I decided to recce if they are open. It was then that I realised that a fire broke out the last time that was why they had to do the renovation. 

A few newspapers cuttings adorn the stall front and the price list.

Please note when is their off day - Thursday.

He does not fry his Kway Teow right in front of you so perhaps you will never know his secret recipe or is it just the stall layout?

The $3 portion is reasonable.

It came freshly fried, not too sweet and came with Chinese sausage, cockles and fish cake. Chinese sausage because German sausage is "wurst". There is sufficient wok hei to let you know that each strand of noodle had kissed the wok. Oh, the good old days. Bring back the good old days.

Another surprising find in this same coffee shop is this stall that sells fish ball and mushroom/minced pork noodle. They used to make their own fish balls but no longer as it is not permitted to do so there as required by law. That is why fish balls no longer tasted varied or as good as they all come from factories. 

Something caught my eye while waiting in the queue. The signboard said "70 Time Honoured Brand" and I was thinking they have been honoured 70 times meaning they are great champions and should be given a lifetime achievement award! It was when I read the words in Mandarin that it was meant as they have been around since the 70s.

I realised that they are supposed to be good with their laksa too but there were only two of us, laksa has to wait till the next time.

We had the fish ball noodle instead which was good because of the self-made chili sauce. Unfortunately, they are closed during dinner so perhaps its only breakfast and lunch only.

I may be stalking this new found place for awhile for their few interesting food stalls. It is at Block 303 at Anchorvale, below the multi-storey car park.

Right next to a LRT station.

Because we wanted to drop by Compass Point, I decided to leave the car behind and took the LRT which was my maiden voyage.

It was quite busy on a Saturday afternoon.

Conveniently into Compass Point.

And back. I had to return to sample more food so I did one evening.

It was here that I confirmed the fish ball/laksa stall is closed in the evening but the fish soup here is quite good. I decided to check out this stall where they sell both BBQ food and Western food where you can have BBQ squids or sting ray with rice. 

To me, BBQ sting ray is a favourite. It is very good! I'll do it again!

I did the CKT again. This time it was more spicy and actually tasted even better than the first time. I am beginning to like the place.

As the Terminator said: "I will be back".

Comments

79_VS_4S said…
It would be very helpful if you indicate the stall address.

Giving the address as Block 303 Anchorvale requires further searching to pinpoint the correct address.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese