Hari Raya @ Botanic Gardens

While people are getting caught in 3-4 hour jams at the Causeway, what was I doing? For a start I have a couple of friends who suggested visiting the Botanic gardens with their families with young children in toll on Hari Raya.

The Botanic Gardens is a special place in my heart. Not because it is famous around the world but it was a place my parents would bring us there when we were children once in a while usually with one of dad's friends with his wife. It was a place that seemed so far away those days and I never forgot about the big clock in the garden mounted on a grounded slope with the hands of the clock moving in the middle and the perimeter around were actually planted flowers. Here you can see an undated photo of dad's friend and wife, a cousin, yours truly guru and my sister at the Botanic Gardens. 


















In between I have been here many times but when my children was younger. So I was here to meet friends with their young ones.

I was observing the people as we were at the Bukit Timah side and not Tanglin. 
I notice 70% of the people were non-Singaporeans. So where are the Singaporeans? Half of them may be in Thailand and Malaysia or have we stop appreciating nature and only know how to be in a shopping centre?

There was something I saw that disturbed me. This is a no smoking garden but I saw some non-Singaporeans smoking. I witnessed at least 3 different groups doing that. Perhaps the rangers should be doing something.

Then I saw a black swan sleeping. Sometimes, I feel so stressed I wish I could be a swan, folding your neck backwards and standing on one leg with eyes closed.

A proud moment for father and son beaming with pride.

Then I saw "it" coming. I realised how it could have been a "Loch Ness' monster.

The beauty of a swan is in its grace and elegance. Sometimes, we humans are like that - above the water we look graceful and elegant. Beneath the water, we could be peddling like mad.

In a flash, they got out of the water and started chasing one another. Maybe couples should do that too.

As if not enough, they broke into a waltz.

We move inland. The little child inside the man came forward. I started to recall why they once called me Mat Noh, Zico and later Ronaldo. 

Ah, fancy footwork and body feints.

I was up against opponents that were bent on stopping me at all costs. They bit my ankles, kicked my shin, push me and pulled me to no avail. Alas, the future belongs to them Shane and Xavier, not me. Sunset and sunrise. Reminiscing when we were young.


We are young. So let's set the world on fire. We can burn brighter than the sun.....

I wish Singapore, family, friends and readers a long and healthy life for a thousand years. So it is okay to slow down a little like a tortoise. 

The ghost of the past came crashing through.

Some called me Rudy, others Hartono. No, no I am not but hey I hate to say it - it's probably me. Let Sting and Eric Clapton serenade you.


Finally, we emerge the Doubles Champions of the Botanic Gardens Open. 

As we were winding down, these two ducks flew down. I wasn't thinking braised or roasted duck. I found me asking meself - evolution or creation. Such beauty.

I saw some children from a distance throwing stones at the swans and ducks. Parents should educate their children on how we should respect nature.

I wondered if humans can grow in pairs as a couple. We can learn from the birds and the bees.

I would like to see the world through the eyes of children. Their innocence and unpretentiousness. Their simplicity. Their friends are friends regardless of race, language or religion.

Maybe it has got to do with playing bubbles. A world of wonders. That is how we adults could learn from. The little child inside the man is not a bad thing at all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese