Steamboat

Despite being among the smallest dialect group among the Chinese here, I have been affected by the Hainanese at every stage of my life. I mean not just the food but the friends and the relatives. I shall elaborate on that at another time in a special article which has been long overdue.

And since I have been so well acquainted and connected with the Hainanese, how come none has suggested to me coming to a place or well not just the place but the name and restaurant which has been around since 1952? That's well before I was even born? You can see I am still rather tender of age. I knew of Chin Mee Chin Confectionery, Yet Con and Purvis Street or Mooi Chin Restaurant at Golden Landmark (formerly at High Street) but it was the first time I visited "The Hainanese Kitchen" at the Golden Mile Tower with some friends. Thanks for the invitation and the lunch.

The lunch crowd was okay but I was told that they are packed to the brim in the evenings for dinner and further warned by friends that weekends are worst especially during dinner time.

We were not eating raw but these are ingredients for our steamboat.

The pot and the gas look like typical efficiency.

But the taste and style was like the good old days during family gatherings at grandma's place except we used to have steamboat heated by charcoal. You learned patience as the charcoal glows.

So too the chicken rice. The style and recipe is unlike most modern day chicken rice even the chilli is different. This is really old style.

What I treasured most on this trip was the Hainanese Pork Chop because it was truly great and it is just so hard to find the same anywhere. I rate this a "Must Have" when you visit this place. Ecstatic!

So too the mixed vegetable dish which is as awesome. So simple and so delicious. Zi char stalls don't even do it these days. I think it was the Chinese Cabbage that made the difference. Get this when you are there.

The roast pork and char siew meat were tender and a good side order. 

There are many more dishes that you can try like satay and other zi char dishes. All my Hainanese friends would be pleased now. So how? If not you then who? If not now then when? If not here then where? Time and place, give time give place then we rock! One word - Steam!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese