Ah Ko Curry Rice

The Hainanese, despite being the latest to come settle in Singapore among the Chinese dialect groups and also the smallest community are big in food. I shall dedicate an article to the Hainanese one day and in it you will also find the reason why I need to to that.

In the meantime, to share what a friend told  me: "Women cook for the living. Men cook for a living". Do you agree? Well, it makes too much sense. 

On an early casual Sunday afternoon, we were at Kovan and I realised that the noodle stall next to the two with long queues has quit and a new one is in place. There was quite a queue and I wanted to find out why. Oh, a Hainanese curry rice stall aptly named "Ah Ko".

This is not your typical Hainanese curry rice with the gooey curry. This one is like home-cooked style. A good sambal sotong (squid) is not something you can get everywhere so I have to give it a shot. Wow! It is good!

This standard vegetable is cabbage and you can see that this one tasted as good as it looked. 

I must certainly say that the "bak par" or pork chop is fabulous. Very fragrant and crispy.

I like that the curry is not those typically gooey type and there are potatoes in it. Now potatoes are very important in a good curry.

I hope they do well and I shall be back again some days. We need good food and we need variety and Ah Ko (s) are brudders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese