Huang Kee Hong Kong Style Wanton Noodle

I used to tell people that in Hong Kong, there are no bad wanton noodle. Of course there are the famous ones but you can virtually walk in to any shop and have good wanton noodles. They give nice soup, nice noodle and solid wantons. It is as if the prawn in it is jumping out at you and in Hong Kong, their wanton noodle has not char siew (BBQ pork) nor do they offer a dry version. Only all soup.

Here, we don't get this type of wanton unless you are at a restaurant. Don't get me wrong, they can still be delicious but their sizes are often pathetic. Okay, okay, maybe I should use the word petite.

There is this coffee shop near home where ownership has changed a couple of times and then someone took over and did a better job. I saw this new wanton noodle stall helmed by a relatively young guy and business was slow and we chatted since he was resting while I was eating. He told me he used to work as one of the chefs in a restaurant but decided to come out on his own. I told him my son loves to cook too but he said "oh, please don't" unless he is absolutely sure as to cook on your own, for fun or enjoyment is different. He said it is a really tough life. He said even as he started he is not sure if it would succeed.

Fast forward, I don't remember how long it was. Maybe a year later. Everyday, he has regular customers from the block or neighbourhood. It gets worse on weekends as there would be a long queue. Each time I wanted to eat and when I see the queue I gave up.

The signboard says "Hong Kong Style Wanton Noodle".

Ha, they are even on facebook - "Huang Kee Wanton".

The noodle quality here is not bad. He gives a good portion of fresh vegetables (chye sim) and you can add your own quantity of chili. It is really good, so now you know why there's a Q.

The soup is of good quality as you can see his well stocked fridge what is used to go into the soup.

Wait. Wait until you get a bite of his wanton. At first glance it is simply voluptuous. One bite and you will discern that it is not the usual wanton. Actually it may make you wanton. 

I can tell you this is better than all those so called famous wanton noodles out there. It is so good that I didn't want the char siew, just all wanton for my noodle. I like his attitude of delivering quality and more should learn from him. They are located along Punggol Road at Block 266 and if you are still unsure, I can bring you there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese