Fishing - Paradise? Part 2


Continued from last week.....

I walked around, needed some food and drinks. It's been awhile since I last had "fan choy' and it tasted good. When you are hungry, everything taste good. I noticed a small pond where it is much easier to get your fish but the fish is smaller. It's the kids' fishing pond meaning younger children can experience fishing here. When you caught one, the staff is there to help. You pay $5 per rod but once you get a certain size fish it is over unless you pay again. I saw much bigger children fishing there.


It was all quiet on the western front. No bites, no fights, no noise. The fish ain't biting.

This is where the restaurant is located. $8 for fried rice. No thanks. Just "fan choy" and a beer will do.

Only the family with grandpa, father and young son were getting fish, maybe 8 of them. What to do? Be patient. Hang loose.

Sometimes, you want to sleep when you can't and you won't when you could.

I showed the young people what they were missing. We used to spit saliva onto these leaves and they will naturally roll into a ball.

If you are an adult and you haven't tried this, let me know. I will arrange for you to experience it first hand. You must have a deprived childhood. Let the child in the man come out. It is ok.

Then I found a Jack fruit tree but never in my life have I seen one with so many fruits growing all over.

From the high branches to the mid and low branches. 

They were all over.

There were a few rambutan trees too.

I think these fruit trees belonged to the owners of the place. These red rambutans you see here were being sold at the restaurant for $5 per bunch.

There was a lovely pond. 

But is this lotus?

Or Water Lily?

Anything that can capture your attention,will.

I took interest in a little stream behind the fishing pond. You may not realize it but every waterway has its own ecosystem which will lead to somewhere. I scanned around and I found a tortoise. 

I wanted to spot a fish, preferably a fairly big one. I spotted one and was sure it was one. I though I saw a snake head, in the wild. It disappeared and surfaced again later. I told my son and his friends and the boys got excited.The action shifted from the fish pond to this stream. We even brought a rod over. It never took the bait and swam into a nearby crevice. I walked across a narrow ledge across the stream to follow it but it must have hidden among the bushes.

I took this from the opposite side and found that the waterway leads further under a bridge. The snake head resurfaced later and we saw it frolicking in the water. We decided to abandon the adventure. The the young boy whose family caught quite a few fish were eyeing us and later brought is hand reel to try his luck. 

As this is a place for sport fishing, you have to use only debarbed hooks. A normal hook is bent ending with a very sharp point. The barb is a very tiny and very sharp thing on the inside of the bent hook. This is meant to secure your fish when hooked as it is pointed downwards. Use a pair of pliers to debarbed it before you can fish. This is to prevent injury to the fish.

I had the first taste of a fishing pond that brought back some of the good old times when my dad, his friends and my friends and cousins would go fishing on some weekends. This was the cost of our entry price.

Something else was missing. Ah! The Toman! The Toman pond is a separate one located near the main entrance when you are driving in. May be next time.



















Will I be back to this place for fishing? Yes I would.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese