Railway Bridge

Recently, a few folks logged on to my blog from Kuwait. That is the 79th country. Then some friends thought that the write up on "The Elderly" was interesting. I told them that I would like to set up a place, a paradise where there is the sun, sand and sea with a 9-hole golf course thrown in and plenty of beer to go around and our slogan for such a retreat for the elderly would be "If you want pretty nurses, you have got to be patient". They sounded happy. 

Another who followed my blog closely has been telling me that the articles in my blog were awesome in all kinds of beautiful language all on his own making and made me feel like a million bucks and like a giant but he reminded me that Vincent van Gogh, the genius that he was, killed himself finally. I told him that Ernest Hemingway did the same. 

Some asked me how I could find so many things like videos and especially the music as part of the theme? The searching was the easiest part. You have to know your movies, songs, music and poison. If "Don't forget the Lyrics" were held during my younger days, a few freinds and I could have won something. Even today, if I hear a song our time on radio, I could tell you the name of the song, the singer or band just by listening to a few notes of music from the intro. They asked how I could manage the time and write so furiously and incessantly.

The Railway Bridge

The first time I heard, learned and sung this song, I think I could have been in kindergarten or primary school. Simple, succinct, melancholic and forever etched in your memory. You would probably have sung it too during campfire or whenever you have a guitar. Let me share with you the magic of Peter, Paul and Mary with Five Hundred miles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwt_ew6Bac. Years ago I grabbed an audiophile recording of this trio after listening to it once!

"If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone. You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, you can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.

Lord I'm one, Lord I'm two, Lord I'm three, Lord I'm four, Lord I'm five hundred miles away from home. Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name, Lord I can't go a-home this a-way. This a-way, this a-way, this a-way, this a-way, Lord I can't go a-home this a-way. If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone. You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.". Sometimes, I do feel like 500 miles away.


















Sometimes you just need to lie low, to take a breather, a rest. Like this young man here.

At times, you are at the cross roads, a fork path of life. Which way do we go? The path we take will lead us to very different destinations, situation and to a very different life. "Wise man, wise man, which way should I run? There are so many roads so many ways... I want to be like you like a wise man too". Uriah Heep (John Lawton) and our very own Western Union Band (the late Chris Vadham) sang this too - Wise Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17oQ4cKQG94 and you should also know this song "Lady In Black (Uriah Heep)": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlp1wgM7go. Chris Vadham and WUB also gave us "Sausolito": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LRsI-oI1U.

And Scorpions tell us: "Wise man said just walk this way till the dawn of the light, wind will blow into your face as the years pass you by. Hear this voice from deep inside, its the call of your heart. Close your eyes and you will find the way out of the dark. Here I am, will you "Send Me An Angel?" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UUYjd2rjsE.

"Wise man said just find your place, in the eye of the storm. Seek the roses along the way, just beware of the thorns. The wise man said, just raise your hand and reach out to the spell. Find the door to the promised land, just believe in yourself."When you come to a cross road, a fork path, what do you do? Which way shall we go? Whatever it is, just do not get derailed. For it is not funny to see the light at the end of a tunnel to realize that it is an oncoming train.
  

















Life is really a "Long And Winding Road" (Beatles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt-YSHAr7c0












 
 
 

You will never get to this bridge if the trains were still in operation. This is a moment in time. What should one do when walking on a railway track? There are plenty of gravel, pebbles and stones laid between the railway tracks. Why?
 

















It is called ballast and so that they can help to level and stabilize the tracks and most importantly it is used for draining in order that the tracks do not get flooded. If you are looking for a stroll or a walk do not do the rail tracks if you wish to go the distance as they will sink and move as you walk on them making it less pleasant, less comfortable. To overcome this, walk on the wooden or concrete slabs laid horizontally across the rails.




















Watch out for those loosen wires or screws, bolts and nuts that might jug out here and there. 


















Sometimes, life is strewn with gravel paths. You step onto it and you can feel yourself shifting with that sinking feeling. Just treat it like a ballast.

  At a train station or when a train is on its way on a journey, many things affecting many lives are all happening at the same time. The entire chain of wagons is just like our world. There are those who are alone, couples, family , children, youths, old folks and other groups of people going on a journey. Some are looking forward to the journey, others the destination and yet others could be lost and forlorn. All in their own thoughts.

 
















Let me share with you a most wonderful song also by Diana Ross - "If We Hold On Together" and I think you should follow the lyrics and sing along too especially if you feel the words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVQJKgqgY8
We are all in that train of life. Each in our own group, each in our own cabin. When we travel, especially alone, we will contemplate life.I give you a love story, a love story from a Czech movie to remember. There are times in life where we have to make decisions. Some decisions can be very difficult to make throwing you into a dilemma. What should you do? Some decisions are not about which is better but that which is a lesser tragedy. What would you do? Watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjb7ZNEDY-Q&NR=1And think of all our relationships in life, like a train of life. The wagons are all joined together. Journeying together without really realizing it yet it is the same but a different story.
Where are we going? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOH6SzDX3l4 - "Do you know where you are going to? Do you like the things that life is showing you? Where are you going to? Do you know? Do you get what you're hoping for? When you look behind you, there's no open door. What are you hoping for? Do you know?" That was what Diana Ross asked.

"Don't lose your way with each passing day, you've come so far, don't throw it away. Live believing, dreams are for weaving, wonders are waiting to start. Live your story, Faith, Hope and Glory, hold to the truth in your heart."
"If we hold on together, I know our dreams will never die. Dreams see us through to forever, where clouds roll by for You and I."

"Souls in the wind, must learn how to bend. Seek out a star and hold on to the end. Valley, mountain, there is a fountain. Washes our tears all away. Words are swaying, someone is praying. Please let us come home to stay."Well, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.


Peter, Paul & Mary - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4g_1VoGw4 Bruce Springsteen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UZxLhOzO9M


I wonder. Del Shannon would "Runaway": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLLcvWeiKw and so do Sha-Na-Na (Johnny Contaardo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gzkVrT1jiE.

Let's go where the wind blows. The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese