Golf

I was told that golf came from the word flog which was like a staff used by shepherds in Scotland in the old days. As the shepherds have to reverse the flog to hit at some stones whenever they feel bored, hence the word golf evolved - which is the reverse of flog.

I used to watch golf on TV in passing and have always thought to myself that it is the most boring game I have ever known. The sports I play and excel at are in are games like soccer, badminton, squash and bowling - mostly with some speed and opponents in play and golf is like the player and ball are stationary and you hit the ball only once and you take a long walk. I have declined many invitation for golf at the driving range. One day a few friends decided to do golf and somehow got me along to the range. Somehow, it confirms my earlier thoughts about the game and actually felt that it was worse than I thought. It was frustrating and futile. As time goes by, when you could hit a few solid shots, it gives you a certain high, a certain kind of gratification and satisfaction.

Despite, feeling better about it, I still didn't feel it was going to be my kind of game. I was to find out later that quite many people actually quit golf at this stage which as of now my advice is "don't". I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to go to the real fairways and greens although it has been largely at Batam or Johor as Singapore clubs requires an official handicap card before you could get onto the course. It is when you are with the elements and with nature that I really begin to enjoy golf and realise what a great game it is! So people, do not give up golf until you have experienced the actual fairways and greens.

A gentleman's game - the only game in the world without an umpire. There are no opponents to distract or tackle and foul you up. You always have a different terrain and conditions even if you are playing on the same course since your shots would land at different places each time. A maximum of 14 clubs to choose from, each of different length, build, olft , lie angle, weight, etc. So now you know why it is also known as a game for people who do not get enough frustrations during the work day.

Like all the other games I have played or mastered to a certain degree of proficiency, I have never engaged a professional coach for lessons. I picked up tips and skills by reading and through the power of observation by watching others play.

I shall share further on the knowledge I have gained over the years on the skills you will need to play better golf and most the suitable equipments and gears to choose. There are 1001 books on golf skills development but many are told in difficult to understand languages or illlustrations and while there are also many magazines telling how good each golf clubs are through their reviews, etc. they still do not tell you enough on some very important fundamentals. Watch this space.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese