Evolution of Transportation







































































From our childhood days of matchbox toy cars and sitting in coin-operated car that sings a lullaby, most boys do have passion for their set of wheels. I got my very own first set in 1985, a second-hand Toyota Corolla DX for a scary sum of $12,400. I remembered vividly I took a company loan and they gave me a single piece of $10k note to bring along for payment. But as in most used cars of our time, the car suffered numerous breakdowns - my first brush with used car salesman. That's why they said politicians are like used car salesman.
I was trying to save fuel $ in 1986 (recession year), so I switched to a tiny 1 litre Daihatsu Charade which did an amazing 16km for a litre of petrol. Once, I carried 2 huge masaleh visiting from Europe and going up the U-turn at Scotts, the car couldn't get up the steep slope till I turned off the aircon and the guest in the front seat was so huge he had his tummy nearly crushing my dashboard with the seat belt fully stretched.
By '88, the hottest old car in town was the Honda Accord 1.6. I decided to look the part and bought a 9-year old and it turned out to be the best used car I had. Unfortunately, COE was then introduced in 1990 and I had to coughed out some $2.5k just to pay the pro-rated amount in order to keep it on the road.
I finally sold it to a nice old man (probably a retiree with CPF $) who paid me cash and I saw another $10k note. Feeling that I needed that break, I went for a new car, a Nissan Sunny going for $73k in 1991 - no airbags, no ABS, no nothing. All new cars are nice, especially the smell but I soon found out that this was a very light vehicle. I skidded twice on wet roads and saw a friend with the same car skidding in the rain.
Not wanting a 3rd experience, I learned that what i truly needed was a heavier car and in 93, I went for an used but very well maintained Toyota Corona CD from the 1st owner. As this car was white, I could see the owner spent a fortune and much time polishing it with the car porch filled with bottles of wax. This was truly a very good and reliable car with great feel burning my pocket for $69k. It was to be the longest time for me to have driven it for 4-5 years.
But I had a harrowing experience when the guy who was supposed to buy my Sunny having paid me a deposit of $500 pressed charges against me at the Small Claims Tribunal. I stood my ground because the signed agreement was for the transaction to be effective in a week. He dragged me for 2 weeks as he couldn't sell his Renault Clio (or not at the price he wanted). Meantime, my car price was dropping due to COE price fluctuation. The first judge or referee at the tribunal threatened and persuaded me for an amicable settlement but again I stood my ground. Guess what? I won of course when they delivered the final verdict. An eye-opening experience because I did not expect someone who has wronged me and caused me trouble could have the cheek and audacity to lodge a complaint against me.
Having been inconvenienced by such incidence, I decided to do direct trade-in with new car dealers. So, in 1997, I got my first Ford, a Laser for a cool $84k (at that time, they said it was cheap!) It was a pretty hardy car and I drove it for some 3 years and changed again. This is so that I could get back higher rebates from existing paper value of prevailing PARF and COE.
I went back to a Sunny in around 2000. This time, a much better Sunny. It was heavier but it consumes a lot more petrol.
Then an exquisite Ford Mondeo was developed and when it came to town it costs a hefty $130k! Ford developed this model from scratch.
By, 2003, COE crumbled somewhat and now the Mondeo could be had for $93k. Again, at the time everyone said it was a cheap buy! It may be true at the time but PARF rebates scheme has changed. This was a wonderful car to drive - truly a driver's car and it was with me for a good 5.5 years. But I had to cut loss.
2008 brings along a new season and my Mondeo was feeling and sounding its age. Going to the car hospital can easily cost you $500-600 around this time and many parts will be crumbling. I didn't want no breakdowns on the roads or any feeling of distress where damsels may pick me up.
I had no choice. The new Mondeo was too costly but I found a solid offer for the Mazda 6.
A very good car at an attractive price. (See my other report) at just slightly more than what you would have paid for the Sunny in 1991-3.
Someday when my M6 grows up, a "B" and a "W" could be added to the front and the back of the "M". Boys will be boys.

Comments

zan said…
Wah, so many 4D to buy. Summore tomorow is Hari Raya!!!
so i buy the topmost one 6057.
Hee!!! Hee!!!
Huat argh!!!
Nice Blog, you have Bang!
Salam
zan
GuruGeoff said…
bro,thanks for reading.
i wanted a solid victorian voice in blogs. selamat hari raya adilfitri!

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese