Lee Fun Nam Kee Chicken Rice (After Charity)

After being part of a visit to the Old Age home previously, it was time to carry out the other part, the laborious part. With a sum collected, we need to know what was needed, got them listed down and go about getting them from the supermarket and then delivering them.

The guys in charge did a great job of listing and estimating the prices, etc. It was quite a bit of work. The supermarket staffs at Fairprice Toa Payoh was really kind to assist us. Two of them helped us to get each and every item onto a trolley. Only thing was they may be wondering why five men are buying so many of these food items? Are they hawkers or do they buy them and stock them for a few months? May be they live together and after stocking they never come out of the house? God knows what they are up to.

We got them stuffed in cartons and it was ready for delivery.

We have a few cars for transportation.

A staff at Lee A Mooi Old Age Home came with a trolley to transfer the goods.

We met "Kim" who is helping his dad and uncle run the place. Kim thanked us for the contribution and he also made it a point to thank me for the write out previously. Now Kim is obviously a very busy man and he found time to ask me for permission to use my article which I happily gave. You see the difference. Kim is doing something good and yet he was so courteous as to ask for permission. That is manners and appropriateness. Compare this to big companies that took things from people's blog, etc. without asking for permission without batting an eyelid.

We also met another group of people who were also contributing for a good cause by delivering foodstuffs. I am well pleased that others are doing so. They even told us that they were proceeding to another place for delivery. I said "wow!" and told my friends that they should also be doing the same and next time we can tell others we have a second delivery. Haha.

When you do some work and used up some energy, what happened? You go hungry. I suggested that we could go to Nam Kee for Chicken rice since it is quite a convenient location due to its proximity at Blk.94, Toa Payoh Lorong 4. The actual name is "Lee Fun Nam Kee".

You see even I have not been there since some time ago. This place has historical linkage to me. It was a childhood thing. I used to lived 10-15 minutes walk from there and and served NS as a policeman. I was posted to the Police Station just next to Blk. 94, Toa Payoh. Quite often, I would have lunch there upon reporting back to station.

Moreover, the boss of Lee Fun Nam Kee once lived at the next block where I used to live as a teen. I remembered him as a handsome young man with a well trained and well toned body. He even kept his hairstyle and walked like my hero Bruce Lee. I spoke to him and reminded him of his younger day looks and he was pleasantly surprised! He smiled and laughed heartily. It will never occur to him how anyone would remember. He never knew that he once inspired me in some ways. So while we are doing our stuffs and living our lives, some one may be observing you. Do it well and don't kill their inspiration. Unfortunately, he was rather busy so I did not insist for a photograph with him. May be next time.

But life is like that, I do not know when I would be there again nor would I meet him. At least I spoke to him and we have a good banter. It was not a normal day for him for sure. He will be brimming with pride. When was the last time someone told you that you are his hero or idol or that you are quite admirable?

We started with "siew yoke" or roast pork. It was pretty well done. Enough lean meat with the necessary fat and a crispy skin.


Next comes the "sui kao" (dumpling) soup. This is commonly loved by many. 

The "yao choy" which simply means vegetables with oyster sauce in Cantonese. Commonly they use "chye sim" as the vegetable. This would be irresistible for some especially those who love lard.





Finally, the champion dish which was the reason we came here for. Soy sauce chicken or "Si Yau Kai". Very tender and succulent. There is something very special in the soy sauce. It makes the chicken and rice even more fragrant when drenched with it.

It brought back fond memories of my teenage life, the places I have been, the people I have met. The friendship I have cultivated. The time that flew past all of us in a jiffy. A simple dish that put my brain in overdrive. I want to go back in time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese