Horsing Around - CNY 2014 Battle Cry

Do you remember that there were times you were watching some futuristic movies many years ago and they try to show you what the future will look like with computers, robots, etc. Then they flashed on the screen "...in the year 2013..." Well, we have got past 2013 now and are right in the future in 2014! Out with the snake and welcome the galloping horse, a majestic animal indeed.




















Spring Cleaning?

Spring cleaning anyone? Let me be frank, I no longer enjoy it. Just clear some cobwebs and if someone visits and saw a spider, I will just tell them it is my pet spider and I will name it after the questioner. I do not have a domestic helper and need to get out of this cycle of poverty. When I was a child, the weeks before CNY was filled with excitement and anticipation because grandma, mum and all the aunts would meet and come around to help prepare CNY cookies, etc. and it gave a festive spirit. Remember those Milo and Ovaltine tins and Jacob's cracker rectangular tin box?

But never before in January did I encounter such cool weather. It has been breezy and windy all day long sending out chills to many especially in the early hours in the morning or late at night. Great for all outdoor activities and you feel you are in another country. It makes me happy so sometimes when you are feeling moody, lethargic or angry it could be just the weather. For someone who perspire a lot, I hope it could go on for a few months. 



I often hear debate about how it should be displayed. The answer is you can do it both ways. Upright or upside down. "Fu" is fortune in Mandarin. Hanging it upside down is just a clever word play to say "Fu dao le" or fortune has arrived since 倒 (dao)了can also mean fallen. What is more important is for you to realise the real meaning of 福. 















Spring is coming and when it is spring it is the Chinese Lunar New Year. 恭 喜 恭 喜 and I know you like the  发 财 so I give it to you.
Spring is the time after winter, so let us get out from our hibernation. It is the time where everywhere even among the animals and insects in the woods, they are teeming with life. Out with the year of the Snake and let the Horse gallop in soon. I read that it is the "wood horse so does the wood horse stand still like "kayu" which is wood in Malay?




Horror Scope - I do not call it horoscope, I call it horror scope because I have already heard some friends talking, saying that those born in rat year won't have it smooth. If you believe it then it won't be as it shall become a self-fulfilling prophecy. With no disrespect to feng shui, astrology or superstition, there will be those that say "people will gossip about you, be careful". Even if you do good, bad or did not do anything, people will gossip. What if it says that you will be at odds with those born in year of the ox, rooster, rabbit, rat, tiger and elephant? Alright just testing you on the elephant, there is no elephant in the Chinese Zodiac. Step out and live your life confidently with a heart of gold and you will be alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u925g6CgKuw

Wealth - Who doesn't like wealth. We all do. Wealth makes life more bearable. They say that if life is full of problems then being rich at least can help solve some of these problems. True? I read an article that interviewed a few people asking them for their hope for the new year and one said: "Strike Toto!" Many people would think that way. Another said: "I just hope to have good health". 


















Many are waiting for money to fall from the sky. It is no coincidence that in the history of mankind, there has always been greed. Strange how many people equate success with money or rather having lots of money. Granted with more $$$, you can live in big houses, drive expensive cars and go for exotic holidays but unfortunately, you will soon realise that it is only one aspect of life and if that is all you know and all you do, you will soon regret it as time take its toll on us. When asked what they wish, no one in their final hours of their life has ever mentioned that they should have spent more time on work or business or to make more money. They just wanted to spend more time with family and friends.

Lao Tzu said: "If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present."

That is why you do not see me wishing people great wealth as wealth means only money and it can be trouble. I rather wish you good health because when one has health one has everything! And I will also wish you prosperity as you can prosper at work, in finance and in relationships. 

"This year will be most challenging for the Rat with constant obstacles that cause you frustration. There is potential for wealth loss so manage your finance wisely". Do you not realise that this is what have been happening to most of us on a daily basis? Who does not have challenges, frustrations and obstacles in life? "A promising year is ahead for your career. Work hard!" Who has not work hard? We have been waiting...for that promising year. Let me offer you a better solution and belief later. I mean when my father stop giving me pocket money, I have suffered financial crisis till now.

People's Park

I have been to Chinatown in the past couple of years but not this time as friends were telling me they could not even get in or have enough space to shop. So I did the next best thing and went to where my parents used to bring me to once in awhile - People's Park. Remember OG was so popular those days, may be still popular? I wanted to have Yong Tau Fu but the other stall was only preparing their food so I went over to Koo Kee. Perhaps this is still good as it is their flagship stall.

Bak Kua - I have often told people that you can have BBQ pork all year round except during CNY as the prices become so steep and they tend to over burn the pork slices. Many would agree with me and then they went to queue for their over-priced commodity. To queue for seven hours at Lim Chee Guan is no joke! I won't.

I saw a reasonable moving queue at this stall at People's Park. Whoever got to the front two in the queue got to sit down. The  old lady would then start talking. It was like a job interview.

I could not hear any conversation even when I was just two behind. When it came to my turn, she just waved at me to sit down. She may have spoken to so many people she could now speak only very softly. She asked only two questions. How much you wanted and how much to pay. It appeared like people seeking divination at a place of worship. 

They were packed in resealable bags. 

It is really quite good. The meat cut is thin though but easy to eat and has a nice balance blend of sweetness from caramel and not too salty. It also has the least "chow tar" or charred meat. All workers were probably family members.


Abalone - Do Chinese eat abalone because they look like gold ingots? We have created the demand and price unto ourselves? Horse brand abalone in year of the horse sure "Huat Ah!!!"

Then a friend went out to queue for four hours for these bak kua.


He said this is the best in Singapore, better than the other famous ones including Lim Chee Guan. He told me that they only open for business once a year so he had no choice but to queue during this period!

Royal BBQ pork. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc (Lorde - Royals)

I cheated and tried it before CNY. It is really very good. The meat slices were thick and chunky. It has a nice blend in taste and not overwhelmed by caramel or other sauces. In fact, it was very fragrant. One of the best indeed!

We will exchange oranges and greetings when we meet. Gong Xi Gong Xi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpRaTBj6Q0

Kueh Lapis - More deadly stuff to come. Everyone's New Year gluttony will lead the your body system going haywire. Its a joyous occasion - eat, eat, eat! Let us pray: "God please give me a fat bank balance and a slim body this year. Please do not get confused like last year".

This incidentally is one of the better kueh lapis I have tried. Few would come close.

This year I want to win some trophies. Play better golf yes but not just golf trophies. 


 Trophies of life. We have to move on to the next higher level.


















The world has suffered some setbacks in many areas for sometime now. It is time we bounce back. I ask you to join me in battle cry like this and dare you to stick out your tongue at your problems:

Just do not self destruct and punch yourself silly: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFP-R_LYSM

We have to lead. As heads of family and your colleagues, etc. True leaders don't create followers. They create more leaders. Join me the CEO (Chief Entertainment Officer) of Bike Run to increase your fitness level by running with your bike. They say short burst of intensity is better than constant long run. Let's get fitter.



I ask you to dance to the tune of the Eye of The Tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4 (Survivor)



Get some inspiration from Rocky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5VHYP1jZho



And roar like a lion: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8 (Roar)

Love people and use things, not use people and love things because... nobody knows when the last goodbye is...

https://www.facebook.com/geoffrey.ng.52/posts/10152156748339777?notif_t=like

Commander of Special Forces - My latest new camouflaged tiger-striped jungle hat is for those who were ex commandos or have a few dollars to spare. If I use it for golf, I will walk into the jungle and squat down when I meet people I do not want to meet. Lol. I will advance behind enemy line for you. One shot one kill. Ready for battle.


















I shall be fighting along side you on all fronts. For glory and honour.



I feel that we should just be confident this year. We just decide that it will be a good year and it shall be. We should not just stop at wishing each other a good and happy new year. We are going to make it happen. Even my new car park now greets me by name. I feel the power.



Life is an echo. What you send out comes back. What  you sow you reap. What you give you get. What you see in others exists in you. Do not judge so you will not be judged. Radiate and give love and love comes back to you. 

Even in my sleep I pray for you to have good health and happiness.

Time soon to release the horses. Set them free.


Gallop majestically like horses, charge like a bull and roar like a lion.







I have been surrounded by horses. Maybe I am the horse whisperer? 

I shall leave you a powerful message for CNY:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=573863016034820

This is your captain speaking. Ground temperature is at 22-31 degrees Celsius. CNY period shall be cloudy and windy. Cabin crew please prepare for landing. I wish one and all a - No Horse Run year! Truly this new year will be a year of new opportunities. Plan your life to receive joy and contentment.

Yours truly will be taking a break from the beginning of the new year to avoid burn out. Take it real slow. Read a couple of books. Watch a couple of movies. Go to the gym. Have a couple rounds of golf. Wake up late. Recalibrate. Sleep a little later to count the stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_nvWreIhg (Counting Stars - One Republic).

(For all links, if you are unable to click and go to directly, just highlight the link and click go to).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese