Mizuno S201

Mizuno is a Japanese sports goods company and famous especially for their forged golf irons. They also have the whole works of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, cast irons, wedges, putters, gloves, shoes, etc.


But golf balls? Everybody fancies playing with Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x balls which are indeed very good but how many of us can make drop onto the green, check and stop? Not many and they are expensive. Others like TaylorMade's Penta and Nike or Callaway are also into these modern multi-material multi-layered golf balls.


Like my other experiments with a variety of golf clubs, the different brands and models, I would sometimes experiment with golf balls too. Besides the Pro Vs from Titleist, the TaylorMade Penta is up to scratch. These are usually soft balls that gives you better feel and feedback especially for putting.


So I got myself some Mizuno S201 golf balls and they are made to have softer feel and price-wise very reasonable. First thing that struck me was that in these years of golf I have never played with a flight mate who had used a Mizuno golf ball. In other words, I think I do not I even need to mark my ball with an icon, an initial or any indication that this is my ball just in case someone else is using the same type with even the same number on it. I just know it would be mine. This is the less trodden path. I kind of like that.



























Unlike many other types of golf balls, this one comes with dimples of different sizes - bigger and smaller ones. What is very obvious and distinct is that these balls are the only ones I have seen that has a beautiful pearl coat on it. The glint makes them look expensive.



























Performance-wise? I have no complaints. Though I have only tried them in one round, I did not detect any loss of distance in all my shots. So, distance is good. What surprised me though was when I hit them on approach with a 50, 56 & 60 degree wedge and even with my pitching wedge or for that matter with a 9, 8, 7 and once with a 5-iron - it bites!


Landed, bounced once, checked and stopped applying the brakes. Bravo!


No distance loss, soft feel, it bites when spun, it has a pretty pearl coat, you may not need to put a mark on the ball and best of all you can get them at a very decent price. What am I waiting for? I am going to get a couple more dozens! I found them at Golf House. Jef and people if you read this, make sure you keep a couple of dozens for me before they are snapped up.


Golf as in life, play as it lies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese