A-Wok Winners!

Is it true that you are what you eat? If so, then you are my everything! Just as Santa Esmeralda told us before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NahS_qrW7Bo.

You see music never fails to bring us back to a certain time and place. When you listen to the above "You Are My Everything" by Santa Esmeralda, where were you and what were you doing back then? In school or serving national service? Whatever but you can be sure you are eating. In the West and some other countries, their houses and cars are cheap but food can be quite expensive so most folks will shop at the supermarkets and cook their own meals. Although ours have risen in prices, food here is relatively cheaper but we kind of got snooped by the expensive housing and cars. We tend to eat out more in our lifestyle.

No point telling what everybody already knew. So sharing about a place you know but never knew they have some of these good foods or those you did not know existed is always good.

Pork Rib @ Jumbo Restaurant.

There are many good ones here like the Chili Crab but you must try the pork rib. Probably honey-glazed with some herbs, the tender, juicy meat inside contrasted brilliantly with the crispy golden brown roast outside. Many of the golfers at NSRCC always clamour for it.















Cumi Bali

You can see the sign at this Indonesian Restaurant at Tanjong Pagar Road. It says the original taste of Indonesian Nasi Padang. Look me up when you are in town so we can go slurp it up!















Whether it is Ikan Bakar, BBQ cuttlefish or chicken, it packs a wallop here as their specialties.















One of my aunts used to live at Kee Choe Ave and if I remember correctly there used to be a coffee shop near Siang Kwan Ave if I am not wrong that sold mutton rendang and my aunt would get my cousin to buy some for lunch when we visited. That was my first taste of rendang and I have never looked back. Whether it is beef or mutton, rendang is to die for. This one from Cumi Bali is no different. You just want to have more. Unfortunately, it is not something to eat everyday? Yes? No?















Just looking at this brinjal makes you salivate! They should be called bringjoy!
 

















There is no better way to wash down all these yummy stuffs than to down a chendol with large red beans with the rich aroma of Gula Melaka. Trust me it is worth it. The fact that it can be quite costly kept me from visiting everyday!















The problem we have in Singapore is that we have too many things going on that are too identical. Every shopping centres and then every food centres or food courts. Yes, those managed by the big boys have ambience, decor and air-conditioned but increasingly I find dissatisfaction on the tastes. I find an increasing difficulty to eat at such places. I want my food to be authentic. I am afraid that by the next generation we no longer knew what is good food anymore. If the baton is not passed on all great foods would become extinct. We should now form a group to protect these rare gems from extinction. To begin with, I revisited Jalan Dusun. 


.














As a child, a part of my childhood life was in Balestier. During weekends, when the uncles and aunts are bantering and if I were not playing with my other cousins, I would often wandered the stretch of Balestier Road. I probably knew all the shops and food stalls that there. The last time I visited this minced pork/mushroom noodle stall I was quite some time ago. I knew it to be good but after a long time I wasn't quite sure. I have um...lost touch with the ground.
















Located at a dinghy, old coffee shop, you may not know what a gem you can find here. For just $3 a bowl soup or dry, you get a generous portion of sliced and minced pork, mushrooms and meatballs to go with your choice of  noodles.



.














They are served a pieces of dried sole fish for a great flavour and oh dear tiny pieces of pork lard which is sinfully good, so good that while you understood they are not in your best interest to eat them, you find the courage to tell yourself that it is okay since you don't do it all the time. Not many noodle sellers these days can cook you a bowl of "mee pok" to get that right texture with a right mixture of chili, oil and the condiments but this one rocks!
















You are not finished yet until you have done the soup which is truly tasty. Once you finished, you feel like having another serving. There are many minced pork/mushroom noodles out there. Many also claimed they are very good. Stickers and posters are everywhere these days but I do not think that they are all good. If you find a better one than this, please surely write to me.















Geylang Prawn Noodle

Do you know where is Quemoy Road? If you don't I won't blame you, I do not either. If you are coming up from the KPE go straight, it is just after Bartley Road which is on the left along Upper Paya Lebar Road. Turn in and find a parking space. You may go "Huh? Election is over how come Geylang is in Paya Lebar?"















The problem with prawn noodles these days is just like how the prices of everything is going up except the salary. Just throw in a few bigger prawns and you can charge for $5 or more. In the old days, they used smaller prawns and sliced them in two. The bigger and more the prawns and lobsters the narrower the arteries.














You can have them with just prawns, with pork ribs or both. Somehow kang kong in prawn noodles always taste good. What is so special here is the soup stock which is really so good you will slurp it up!















What I can't understand is that they still leave the entire prawns intact with the shells and you have to de-shell them. Is it so that it can retain the flavour of a freshly de-shelled prawn? It is a bit troublesome but I can do it without dirtying my hands if I wish. I am one of the few talented people who can put a prawn in from left side of my mouth and spit out the shell from the right side like a de-shelling machine. This one shows that the prawn has shed its skin like a snake.

















Why is it common for the prawn noodle stalls to also peddle prawn crackers? Ok, they used prawns too or is the best blend to eat both at the same time? Or just a pure business decision?















Pandan Leaf Nasi Lemak

There are some so-called famous nasi lemak. I read about one that charges $8 for a plate with a few dishes. Others with long queue and there's even one where if your orders are slow in coming can get you a telling off. Stop wasting time. Come to me and try this one at Tanjong Pagar market simply called "Pandan Leaf" Nasi Lemak and they have even stated the price loud and clear at $2.50. Before inflation reared its ugly head, it was going for just $2!!



















What do you get for $2.50? Fragrant rice with peanuts/ikan bilis, chicken drumstick, otah, egg, and a fish. Your take away comes wrapped with a banana leaf inside. I do not think you can find anything like this anywhere. If you can't come down, I will buy it for you when we have a chance to meet. Maybe I should get it for you before we golf.















It is hard to find great chicken drumstick done so deliciously. Last time I knew a guy Jaafar who made the most fabulous drumstick at the old Paya Lebar Airport Police canteen and when dipped with sambal belacan or nasi lemak chilli will bring you into ecstasy. I am telling you that this is the best chicken drumstick you will find. Fried to a golden brown on the outside but juicy and tender on the inside all this while being very fresh and tasty. When something tasted so good how do you know it is so good? Well, you just want to have another one! 

















This is the couple who whipped out a storm at their stall and you can see them deep-frying the chicken wings and drumsticks, a long queue always forming and a sell out just after noon. Despite their being so very busy, they are always very nice. Why go else where?


















If you are at boat quay and go to Dallas which we did and chanced upon this on the menu "barramundi"with "tortilla" and decided to try it and it was pretty good. The minestrone soup was a great way to start. Sometimes they give food with fancy names in French or Spanish and others but you had better know what you are eating. Barramundi is actually a species of sea bass while tortilla is a thin unleavened bread made from wheat flour and baked from a hot surface (like naan). Tortilla means little torta or little cake. The barramundi was well-seasoned and very well fried. You go to western food stalls or elsewhere and they will give you "Pacific Dory". Sounds good? Well, they are actually Vietnamese catfish. Anyhow it should still taste somewhat better than the "Tilapia" which has become "aqua chicken" used to feed the world in terms of being a fish which is easy and cheap to farm. 
















And every time I walk past I just have to go get some Raisin/Cream bread from Barcook. It is so easy to devour and I know many of us out there just love  bread.



.













If I put out 7 items here and you haven't been there or tried that or haven't been there and done that for a long time, it is time! If you don't like any of these recommended, I will give you your money back! If you do, you got it from the guru, so please do the right thing, invite me over. Don't be lazy. Come On Over!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese