Losing My Religion

Sometimes when I pick up the phone to call a friend, he may be so busy that he didn't even say hello but just utter "I'll call you back". Then one week later, I would call him again to say "hello, just calling you to ask when you are calling me back?" We are all that busy but when we are not we look for other things of leisure to keep ourselves busy again. We deal with people all the time - the good, the bad and the ugly. How we deal with people or interact is dependent on how we view the world and who you are or what's your beef.


Do you subscribe to the view that all people are bad until proven good or people are good until proven untrustworthy. This makes a world of difference. You have got to give before you get. You can't expect to receive rewards first then decide what you want to give. You must have faith to give freely and the rewards will eventually come. Though you may from time to time be deceived if you trust too much, you will live in torment if you do not trust enough.

A great band R.E.M. led by Michael Stipes released a beautiful song called "Losing My Religion". (REM is short for Rapid Eye Movement as in your sleep and dreams). Watch the video and listen to the song.




Lyrics - Oh, life is bigger, It's bigger than you. And you are not me, The lengths that I will go to. The distance in your eyes, Oh no, I've said too much, I set it up. (chorus)


That's me in the corner, That's me in the spotlight, I'm Losing my religion. Trying to keep up with you, And I don't know if I can do it, Oh no, I've said too much, I haven't said enough.


I thought that I heard you laughing, I thought that I heard you sing. I think I thought I saw you try, Every whisper Of every waking hour I'm Choosing my confessions. Trying to keep an eye on you, Like a hurt lost and blinded fool, fool. Oh no, I've said too much I set it up.

Consider this, Consider this, The hint of the century. Consider this, The slip that brought me, To my knees failed. What if all these fantasies, Come flailing around, Now I've said too much. I thought that I heard you laughing, I thought that I heard you sing. I think I thought I saw you try. But that was just a dream, That was just a dream. (repeat chorus).

But that was just a dream. Try, cry, why try? That was just a dream, Just a dream, just a dream. Dream...

Who are you? What do you believe and stand for? That's like your religion. Our upbringing plays a crucial part in our moral code of conduct. Besides, all humans have a built-in conscience so that mostly we know what is right and wrong. When you became the head of your own family, you are a living role model for the family, your wife, children, their friends and even your staffs. You impart moral authority, that's your religion. Religion is often related to a God or Gods and for some religious leaders they are the voice of god. Every one thinks that their religion is superior that is why they had chosen it, some even had theirs taught for generations and kept in the family while others have their own personal experiences for their beliefs. Can one teach their children to be upright but brings home office stationery? Can you say or do some terrible things to people and then teach others moral conduct?

I am not here to talk about religion. I am not here to ask you to change or abandon your religion. Maybe I am asking you not to be too religious or overly religious. I think that if there is a God, then God is forgiving, merciful and full of love and goodness. Proselytising at all cost and you go to the highest heaven is men's own idea not God's. If you are a disciple then you ought to exhibit qualities as a follower of the God you serve and if God is good, then all people will be good. Let your life be an example so that others can see you like a shining beacon.

How are we more righteous than others? It is common to see people criticizing others but because our eyes are just above our nose, we can't see beyond that nose sticking right in front therefore, we can't see our own faults. But if you were to make a video of your life and now sit back to watch it, you will be shock by what you see. Why? Because humans like to judge others but never themselves.

We use different set of laws, standards, arguments to judge others and favour ourselves. So human standards is actually not quite acceptable but in the absence of everything else, we just settle for the next best thing. We ought to do good because it is the right thing to do, not because of some incentives but if doing more good leads you to heaven then does doing the most good leads you to the highest heaven?

Imagine a world without religion. Would you still be the same person as you are right now? If you were not a womaniser or gambler would you then become one? Will you say and do things selfishly while hurting others? Rob, steal, scheme and plunder? Since there is no religion, there is no God therefore, there is no heaven and hell. Is it the belief that there is a God that stop you from doing all these or are you already doing all these regardless? Is it your upbringing and religion that taught what is wrong such that you feel a sense of guilt. 

Is is the society that you are in that determines that? Or is it just your conscience speaking? Do we have a conscience that deep down we do know what is right or wrong?


"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot." "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein.
My whole religion is this: do every duty and expect no reward for it, either here or hereafter. - Bertrand Russell.


What makes a free thinker is not his beliefs but the way in which he holds them. If he holds them because his elder told him they were true when he was young, or if he holds them because if he did not he would be unhappy, his thought is not free, but if he holds them because after careful thought, he finds a balance in their favour, then his thought is free, however odd his conclusion may seem - Bertrand Russell.


If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. - Bertrand Russell.


A process which led from the amoeba to man appeared to the philosophers to be obviously a progress though whether the amoeba would agree with this opinion is not known. - Bertrand Russell.

People fight over politics and religion. They missed the point entirely. You will need to stand for something. Sitting on the fence on your backside will only cause cellulite to build up. Blindly following certain leaders in religion, politics or in any association thereof can lead us to destruction too. It is also about standards, morals and principles. Your principled and moral standing must be pleasing to the Supreme God if you believe that there is one not to look good in the eyes of your fellow men. If you are caught in the spotlight, don't lose your religion. Would you lose it for a few dollars more?



Even if you don't believe there is God, there is a conscience planted in you to know right from wrong. When you practise the core values of your conviction based on your principles and morals you are sharpening the saw and thus the quality of your perception. You will instinctively know when something is wrong. That is your religion. Don't lose it! The relationship between God and you is a personal one. That is a relationship. Love for God and your fellow men is a sacred relationship. Love one another - that is a command.
Oh no, I've said too much I haven't said enough.

Comments

Somzbody said…
Geoff ..... you are my religion ... and your writings my scriptures. Please open the door and show us the way ....

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese