Watches

Why Are Watches Set At 1010?


Every time we see an advert on TV or in magazines, you will see that watches are displayed showing the time set at 1010. Do you know why? I am sure you have asked yourself and even found a suitable and appropriate explanation.


















There are actually a variety of reasons. Setting the timepieces at ten ten allows the company logo and brand name to be clearly displayed and look well framed unblocked by the hands so that it became a creative industry standard. It was said that it used to be set at eight twenty but that sort of resembles a frown rather than a smile. So a V-shaped smiley at ten ten seems also like V for Victory. To be exact, the hands are placed exactly at ten-nine and thirty-six seconds when displayed.










Do You Know Your Watch?



The "Dial" - aka the face is where the time is displayed while the Crystal is the plastic or clear glass that protects and cover the dial. These parts rest on a "Case" that forms the base of the watch. Meantime, the "Bezel"holds the crystal. The watch "Crown" is the button that is used to wind and set the watch. Some folks collect watches including some very expensive ones which may be rare. I just want to put "Time In A Bottle" like Jim Groce did. I wish I could put time in a bottle and save it.



Which Wrist Do You Wear Your Watch?


I used to watch those old cowboy movies and they tell time by hammering a stake onto the ground and by watching its shadow they knew the time. When I was a small boy and when dad bought me my first watch, an "Orient"wrist watch, I was intrigued and was excited by it. Each time I have accidentally knocked some where on it, there will be a shock to my system especially when you can see that it has scratches on it and worse when it doesn't go away - heart pain. Later, my dad bought me a "Seiko" which was like "Wow! a Japanese Seiko!" 


You can tell or teach your children everything and anything but finally they may not listen to you but they will do what you do. My dad wears his wrist watch on his right hand where most folks do on their left. I started this way and till today, I feel odd when I try to switch it to the left. It turned out to be a good decision because I become a sort of official time keeper for the rest of the golfers in my flight. Why? Those who wear their watch on their left wrist usually do not wear a watch when golfing as it gets in the way. Better players who turned their left wrist after impact of a shot consistently will feel awkward as the crown will poke at their bent wrist. 


So Tag Heuer came out with a solution by placing that special golf watch with the crown on the opposite side. I just put on the right wrist. Usually, a right-handed person wears his wrist watch on his left hand and vice versa for a left-handed person. This is a logical step since you want to use your stronger hand to wear it. Well, if you have dexterity in both hands, your options are open. So golfers, out there, go get yourself a Tag Heuer or switch it to the right hand. If you don't wear it, you might lose it. If you do not feel comfortable with all then just ask me for the time. I charge one stroke per question. It's cheaper than a Heuer. Thank you dad! I save from a Heuer so maybe I can buy another golf club.

Time



They say the time is a most precious commodity. Time is money. Time once lost could never be regained. All of us have 24 hours a day, not a minute more and not a minute less so we have to make good use of it as they say there is a price to pay. Some people say they do certain things to kill time. If we don't consume our time wisely, time will consume us. It flies. Throw a watch out of a window and see how time flies but the police will be knocking at your door to charge you for killer litter. Whether you are doing business or climbing the corporate ladder you are always hard pressed for time. 


There are so many things and so many datelines with so little resources, etc. Small wonder everyone is so stressed. Everyone has to answer to someone even if you are the MD or Chairman one has to answer to the board, the shareholders the customers, etc. Time for work, time for family, time for friends, time for hobbies and do you have time for yourself? Where you can choose to do nothing. Absolutely nothing! It eludes us and having a watch is no help. Basically, I just wanted to be a farmer, just hacking the soil. Sorry, that is called a golfer. Time and tide waits for no man.

Recharge


This is why we have to go for a recharge sometimes - to just do nothing. A holiday but a holiday can be even more stressful if you have to follow a tour based on a fixed time each day so that you can squeeze in the maximum number of places in the shortest to get value-for-money. 


You have no choice if you don't know a place well enough but I don't like that. That is no holiday. I prefer to be a beach bum where you can throw away your watch and only use your instincts to do things. Wake up or sleep when you feel like it or want to. Eat when you are hungry and drink when you feel thirsty, where time will kind of stand still.





It is true that when some friends who have been there saw the pictures, they didn't believed that it was Samui because when they were there they never saw these. Perhaps you have to slow down and unwind to find it - the moment. That moment. You need to be still. Get the Times of Your Life!

I will never forget this Paul Anka classic originally used by Kodak in an advertisement. I assure you it will bring back memories. Cherish them!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese