Soon Soon Teochew Porridge

When are you going to bring me for Sungei Road Laksa? Soon, soon. I told him. Recently, I remembered and reminded myself to remind him and he said it has already been a year. He was exaggerating. Also good things come to those who wait. "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.'' - Lao Tzu.

I remember the good old days of Teochew Muay or simply Teochew porridge. That was what mums used to cook at home. Simple home cooked dishes eaten with porridge, Teochew style.

I remember frequenting Goodwood Park Hotel for their teochew porridge. Then there was one for late night porridge at the former Equatorial Hotel. Many frequented the Oasis restaurant too.You must also have read about a teochew porridge stall at Upper Serangoon that got smashed up by some drunkards. 

I only but patronise one stall at Simon Road because I think it is the best and it is called Soon Soon. It is popular and you will see young and old or the whole family eating there. 


Although the the folks manning the stall are busy they all good. Just get seated, give your orders and they will serve you. 

I believe they have a very good chef as they do their dishes very well. Steamed fish cake and hehe bee hiam with porridge are awesome. They even make their chilli so well.

The chilli lala is a must. Some resemblance to chilli crab gravy but  yummy.

Typical teochew braised duck.

I feel that their taste is like home-cooked too.

Ginger dark sauce chicken gives the overall meal balance and even the spinach is tasty. 

And this is a fabulous steamed fish. 

It is the seasoning and the garnishing that brought out the perfectly steamed, meaty sea bream and it is addictive.
















You can have your own fix from a super market.

Soon Soon represents teochew food well and I will keep coming back.

On very hot and humid days, these are the best food for your body and soul. Then everything will be ''soon soon''.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese