Hong Kong Chef's Kitchen

In life, you have to give everyone a chance and then you have to work on the opportunity. Sometimes, the decision can be a tough one. You may have to leave a place and go to another. But as in a crisis if life there are opportunities since crisis in Mandarin is 危 机. Separated it means danger ( 危) and opportunities (机). Therefore, in crisis or danger there are opportunities.

You have to make things happen like setting up a business, a hawker centre or a food stall. I have known many Hong Kongers who came to Singapore long ago and became successful. They took a risk, a calculated risk. Hong Kongers are fastidious about their food. So I was happy to stumble upon this tze char stall at the Ci Yuan. They have the standard fare but also other unique dishes.














Besides, fish steamboat, they have many other interesting local seafood like BBQ Sting Ray, cockles, gong gong, etc.


There are some stories about the chef/owner.

This set menu dinner for ten is value for money. When are you bringing me here?

I can vouch that almost all the food here is good. I said almost because I have tried some but not all of it. They use very fresh and good ingredients. Just take a look at the pork ribs.

Steamboat is good and the fish was nicely sliced for you but for one who perspires too easily, steamboat at a hawker centre on a normal day in this SG sauna means it is free flow for me.

BBQ chilli sting ray is always a winner anytime. 

This is an absolutely fabulous dish. The humble brinjal with ladies fingers delicately fried with the marriage of ''hae bee'' and pork floss blend to perfection. I tell you, one plate is not enough.

I have love pak coy soup since young but they just don't do it these days but here they could.

Then I decided to go for a HK style steamed red garoupa of a resaonable size. It cost $45 and it was so well done - steamed to perfection, so good that I can say it is better than some restaurants and in a restaurant this same size fish will set you back by $80.

When they could do the difficult and delicate dishes well the rest of the standard fare should be ''mo man tai''.

I often love to have yee mee since young as not everyone can do hor fan well. Some times mixing yee mee with bee hoon makes it even better but these modern day tze stall won't do the mixture for you as it involve more work of cooking separately. Only because I am a regular would the stall near my place was willing to do it for me only during off peak hours.

But this is better. Ee Fu mian which one could find only at restaurants. You can find it here. This is the business class of yee mee. Fried gingerly with mushrooms and spring onions, it is the mother of all the Ee or Yee family. First class even. Absolutely love it. 

HK Chef's Kitchen is a restaurant in disguise. I am loving it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese