Hin Fried Hor Fun

In Singapore today, it is so fashionable for restaurants and hawkers to display newspapers and magazines cut outs or food excellence ratings from some famous bloggers, etc. so much so that so many stalls have good ratings or you may think that only those with such displays serve good food. 

As for me, I prefer discovering good food on my own - new or old. I would also try to revisit old ones to find out if they are still good and I like helping small restaurants and to make hawkers happy because their work is not easy yet they fed people with good food. Friends would also suggest places to go and food to eat but I am no full time blogger nor paid and I do not accept free food even when offered.

It is hard for me to accept food that is tepid. There must be enthusiasm because I know a lot of people who do no know what to eat for their next meal most days. Of course this is better than not knowing when is your next meal. And there are one or two people who while eating their lunch are already plotting their dinner. Haha.

In this instance, I have always love a good hor fun. Hor fun without ''wok hei'' is a waste of time. I was bred on that since young when there was a tze char stall at a coffee shop just next to where I lived in Toa Payoh and when coming home very late from work even from 10pm, you have to wait for your food. So I would get there, order my food, go home for shower and then come back later to collect. Another one was just behind at the hawker centre. Of course they are now all gone.

So, let me introduce you to ''Hin Fried Hor Fun'' at the Old Kallang Airport Road hawker centre. This man Hin has all kinds of hor fun for you - beef, seafood, whatever, You could even have a mixture of say prawn with beef which was what I had.

It costs more than the usual $3-4 type but the quality is much better. I would not declare it the best hor fun but it is good enough with sufficient breath of the wok. 

There is also this surprising good fish, deep-fried on the outside and tender on the inside. It is toman fish but does not taste anything like it. Try it.

This is the amiable Mr. Hin at his stall.

You should patronise Mr. Hin's stall and give me your feedback. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I tried the Hin Fried Hor Fun this evening at the Old Airport Road hawker centre. You are right that this food stall has got the oomph and the wok hei that goes with the fried hor fun. A fried hor fun without the wok hei is just a waste of time. Many of the hawker stalls that I have visited served the fried hor fun so bland and so terrible. But this Hin hor fun is good with a good aroma of the wok hei that accompanies it. I would give it high marks but unfortunately he lacks some basic culinary skills. For example, I see that he fries the hor fun quite well with a good wok and enough heat to create the aroma. However, he did not do justice to his food but using fish that is cold and pours the gravy that is also cold. I do not know whether it is out of laziness or just lack of basic culinary skills. So now we have a well cooked hor fun with wok hei but have cold gravy, cold fish and cold prawns. I ordered two servings one hor fun with beef & prawns and the other hor fun with the fried fish. He could easily put the gravy in the wok and make it hot before serving. It could easily be an outstanding dish but for now I will just rate it as above average.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese