Nasi Padang (Lor 1 Geylang)

Geylang is a fascinating place. It is fascinating because it has everything and it is unpretentious. It is also quite well known around the world I am sure. Of course there is the seedy side of town. The fighting, the drinking and the occasional murder. 

Then other side, they have many residential projects over the years, fruit stalls, kitchen, durians stalls, bathroom and hardware shops, etc. and many variety and plenty of food stalls, coffee shops and restaurants. Every street and lorong are filled with some really nice and interesting food. From beef whore fun (hor fun lah stupid auto- correct) to frog porridge, duck rice to wanton (pronounced one tonne and not wanton) noodle, clay-pot rice to Hokkien Mee, Fishball Mee Pok to Prawn Noodle. Restarants like Wan To Sek, Sek Wai Sin, Sek Bao Sin are really literally translated from Cantonese and they were not talking about Wanting To Seek nor about Sinning. 

And did you know that Geylang has a good Nasi Padang? When was the last time you had Nasi Padang? Well, I could have a good old nasi padang almost any day. Spices, curry and all things nice. 

The Geylang Lorong 1 Nasi Padang. By the time I came one evening, they no longer have the full works. I have to make do with whatever I could find. By the way, Geyalng Lorong 1 Nasi Padang is not at Geylang Lorong 1. It is at Geylang Lorong 27. It is like how confusing Singapore is elsewhere for example Geylang is in Marine Parade.

I got two packets with slightly different dishes one for me and another for the wifey and they were smart as they indicated a M and a F. Male and Female? Of course not. Fish and Mutton.

Sayur Lodeh and Mutton Rendang for me. Oh boy was it delicious. Rendang is always good be it beef or mutton and this mutton rendang is excellent as it is tender and the gravy is special. The curry gravy and the various chili including the sambal belacan were excellent. I found the mixed blend of taste rather intoxicating especially when wrapped in banana leaf where the aroma is absorbed, then released and hits your tongue.

Well, the Female, no, I mean the Fish is also very fresh and tasty. How I wish I could get an Ayam Goreng. Well, next time then.

Like Arnold Schwarzenegger said in the Terminator in a deep low voice - I will be back. Sedap! 

This is my good food award. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese